Ricardo Zonta claimed Lamborghini's first pole position in the FIA GT1 World Championship at the new Navarra circuit in Spain.
The former grand prix driver topped the times in the final section of the three-round qualifying session with a 1m36.118sec laps aboard the best of the Reiter Engineering Lamborghini Murcielago R-SVs. That means teammate Frank Kechele will start tomorrow morning's qualifying race from the pole.
Zonta said: "I am very happy to be on pole. Our car suits this track and I like it as well. You have to remain focused because it is very easy to make a mistake and lock a wheel."
Second place went to Alessandro Pier Guidi, who shares his Vitaphone-run Hegersport Maserati MC12 with Nico Verdonck. His time was two tenths slower than the pole winner.
Neel Jani ended up third-fastest in the best of the Matech Ford GTs. He ended up a tenth ahead of Maxime Martin in the Marc VDS-run Ford.
Championship leaders Michael Bartels and Andrea Bertolini (Vitaphone) will start 13th after the former failed to make it through to Q3.
Pos Drivers Car Time Session
1. Zonta/Kechele Lamborghini 1m36.118s Q3
2. Pier Guidi/Verdonck Maserati 1m36.329s Q3
3. Jani/Amindo Ford 1m36.407s Q3
4. Martin/Leinders Ford 1m36.410s Q3
5. Turner/Enge Aston Martin 1m36.484s Q3
6. Kox/Haase Lamborghini 1m36.877s Q3
7. Campbell-Walter/Hughes Nissan 1m37.520s Q3
8. Hirschi/Piccione Aston Martin 1m38.090s Q3
9. Bernoldi/Ramos Maserati 1m36.950s Q2
10. Longin/Müller Maserati 1m36.992s Q2
11. Westbrook/Mutsch Ford 1m37.019s Q2
12. Hennerici/Margaritis Corvette 1m37.097s Q2
13. Bertolini/Bartels Maserati 1m37.163s Q2
14. Bouchut/Basseng Lamborghini 1m37.231s Q2
15. Makowiecki/Clairay Aston Martin 1m37.873s Q2
16. Wendlinger/Moser Nissan 1m38.537s Q2
17. Dumbreck/Krumm Nissan 1m37.381s Q1
18. Ara/Nilsson Nissan 1m37.493s Q1
19. Huisman/Kuismanen Corvette 1m37.730s Q1
20. Schwager/Pastorelli Lamborghini 1m38.583s Q1
21. Bobbi/Palttala Ford Q1