Johann Zarco took his maiden 125cc pole position thanks to some ideal timing in qualifying at Mugello.
The Ajo rider put in his 1m58.988s lap just before rain started falling in the early stages.With track conditions getting steadily worse thereafter, Zarco's time turned out to be the best anyone could manage - giving him pole by a massive 1.6 seconds.
RW Racing's Luis Salom followed up his breakthrough Assen podium with second place on today's mixed-up grid. Sergio Gadea completed the front row for the Blusens team.
Championship leader Nico Terol, back after missing Assen with a hand injury, was back in fifth, between Efren Vazquez and Sandro Cortese, while double race winner Maverick Vinales had to settle for seventh as few riders even ventured out in the second half of the session.
Worst affected by the changing conditions was Silverstone winner Jonas Folger, currently Terol's title rival. He was left down in 21st.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Johann Zarco Ajo Derbi 1m58.988s
2. Luis Salom RW Aprilia 2m00.620s + 1.632s
3. Sergio Gadea Blusens Aprilia 2m00.903s + 1.915s
4. Efren Vazquez Ajo Derbi 2m01.026s + 2.038s
5. Nicolas Terol Aspar Aprilia 2m01.033s + 2.045s
6. Sandro Cortese Germany Aprilia 2m01.093s + 2.105s
7. Maverick Vinales Blusens Aprilia 2m01.201s + 2.213s
8. Hector Faubel Aspar Aprilia 2m01.351s + 2.363s
9. Adrian Martin Aspar Aprilia 2m01.679s + 2.691s
10. Louis Rossi Matteoni Aprilia 2m01.768s + 2.780s
11. Miguel Oliveira Andalucia Aprilia 2m01.781s + 2.793s
12. Danny Webb Mahindra 2m01.811s + 2.823s
13. Marcel Schrotter Mahindra 2m01.839s + 2.851s
14. Simone Grotzkyj Phonica Aprilia 2m01.927s + 2.939s
15. Jakub Kornfeil Ongetta Aprilia 2m01.976s + 2.988s
16. Alberto Moncayo Andalucia Aprilia 2m02.153s + 3.165s
17. Harry Stafford Ongetta Aprilia 2m02.349s + 3.361s
18. Sturla Fagerhaug WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 2m02.483s + 3.495s
19. Jasper Iwema Ongetta Aprilia 2m02.745s + 3.757s
20. Alexis Masbou Caretta KTM 2m02.929s + 3.941s
21. Jonas Folger Ajo Aprilia 2m02.931s + 3.943s
22. Kevin Calia MGP Aprilia 2m02.949s + 3.961s
23. Niklas Ajo TT Motion Aprilia 2m02.965s + 3.977s
24. Luigi Morciano Italia FMI Aprilia 2m03.077s + 4.089s
25. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Ajo Derbi 2m03.375s + 4.387s
26. Danny Kent Ajo Aprilia 2m03.482s + 4.494s
27. Miroslav Popov Ellegi Aprilia 2m03.684s + 4.696s
28. Taylor Mackenzie Phonica Aprilia 2m03.915s + 4.927s
29. Francesco Mauriello WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 2m04.632s + 5.644s
30. Alessandro Tonucci Italia FMI Aprilia 2m04.663s + 5.675s
31. Giulian Pedone Phonica Aprilia 2m04.860s + 5.872s
32. Peter Sebestyen Caretta KTM 2m05.954s + 6.966s
33. Joan Perello Matteoni Aprilia 2m07.064s + 8.076s
34. Massimo Parziani Faenza Aprilia 2m09.633s + 10.645s