Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom took a last-minute pole position for race two of the Yas V8 400 in Abu Dhabi.
Winterbottom completed his lap after the session's 20 minutes had run out, but having started it before the session ended, he jumped up from 19th to first, knocking race one winner Jamie Whincup down to second place on the grid.
Rick Kelly had a much happier time in qualifying than in yesterday's running, third fastest, just ahead of Garth Tander with James Courtney close behind. Sixth and seventh were Craig Lowndes and Shane van Gisbergen, separated by less than a hundredth of a second, with Jason Richards very close behind.
It was a similar situation for ninth to 11th on the grid, with Alex Davison and Jason Bright split by exactly one hundredth of a second with Michael Caruso between them, closely followed by the second of the Kelly brothers, Todd.
After qualifying and finishing race one in the top 10, 15th for Lee Holdsworth was a disappointment, as was 21st for Paul Dumbrell after similar achievements. However, the most disappointed driver must be Will Davison, set to start from 22nd after showing pace in race one and with teammate Garth Tander set to start from row two.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m58.0370s
2. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m58.2150s + 0.1780s
3. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m58.3780s + 0.3410s
4. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m58.3930s + 0.3560s
5. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m58.4420s + 0.4050s
6. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m58.5240s + 0.4870s
7. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m58.5300s + 0.4930s
8. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1m58.5520s + 0.5150s
9. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m58.5850s + 0.5480s
10. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m58.5880s + 0.5510s
11. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m58.5950s + 0.5580s
12. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m58.6120s + 0.5750s
13. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m58.6630s + 0.6260s
14. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m58.8450s + 0.8080s
15. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m58.8480s + 0.8110s
16. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m59.0430s + 1.0060s
17. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m59.1760s + 1.1390s
18. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m59.3080s + 1.2710s
19. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m59.3730s + 1.3360s
20. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m59.5270s + 1.4900s
21. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m59.5690s + 1.5320s
22. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m59.6830s + 1.6460s
23. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m59.7520s + 1.7150s
24. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m59.9270s + 1.8900s
25. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m59.9620s + 1.9250s
26. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 2m00.0780s + 2.0410s
27. Paul Morris Holden Commodore VE 2m00.5620s + 2.5250s
28. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE 2m01.4380s + 3.4010s
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 2m02.0020s + 3.9650s