A late flying lap from Justin Wilson was enough to give the Briton the top spot in the second IndyCar practice session at Mid-Ohio.
Wilson put his Dale Coyne Racing entry at the top of the timing screens with a 1m06.3018s effort, 0.0116 seconds better than the next-quickest driver Simon Pagenaud.
The two fastest times followed a late restart after Helio Castroneves and Mike Conway came together at the Kink, prompting a red flag. Castroneves appeared to be in minor discomfort immediately after getting out of his car, but the Brazilian was checked and cleared by medical officials just as the session was ending, having escaped with a bruised wrist.
"We were having a good session," Castroneves said. "Finally I was getting the rhythm, especially since we didn't get to test last week. I was really starting to understand what the car needs. Unfortunately when (Mike) Conway was coming out of the pits, he didn't know where to go. He was trying to help me but it ended up hurting me because he was chasing one line to give me room. Everywhere I would pull, it ended up being the line he would take to help. It's one of those instances where it's better to keep your line and not try to help each other. I didn't have enough time to brake and I hit him on the back and the steering knob was kind of like whiplash and I hit my hand. Thank god it's not broken. It's just a bruise and now we'll go out for qualifying."
More than 10 drivers took a turn in going quickest during the hour-long session, including all three Team Penske entries, all three Andretti entries, and Ganassi's Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti, while the Lotus-powered HVM car of Simona de Silvestro continued to show improvement and finished up 22nd.
Video of the morning's session produced by IndyCar is below.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Justin Wilson Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m06.3018s
2. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt Dallara-Honda 1m06.4124s + 0.1106s
3. Will Power Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m06.4671s + 0.1653s
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m06.4694s + 0.1676s
5. Scott Dixon Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m06.4743s + 0.1725s
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m06.4997s + 0.1979s
7. Graham Rahal Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m06.5171s + 0.2153s
8. JR Hildebrand Panther Dallara-Chevy 1m06.5777s + 0.2759s
9. Ryan Briscoe Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m06.6440s + 0.3422s
10. Alex Tagliani Herta Dallara-Honda 1m06.6902s + 0.3884s
11. Marco Andretti Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m06.6933s + 0.3915s
12. Josef Newgarden Panther Dallara-Honda 1m06.7381s + 0.4363s
13. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon Dallara-Chevy 1m06.7422s + 0.4404s
14. Dario Franchitti Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m06.7438s + 0.4420s
15. Helio Castroneves Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m06.8794s + 0.5776s
16. Rubens Barrichello KV Dallara-Chevy 1m06.8862s + 0.5844s
17. EJ Viso KV Dallara-Chevy 1m07.0466s + 0.7448s
18. James Jakes Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m07.1403s + 0.8385s
19. Tony Kanaan KV Dallara-Chevy 1m07.1919s + 0.8901s
20. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR Dallara-Chevy 1m07.1980s + 0.8962s
21. Mike Conway Foyt Dallara-Honda 1m07.8143s + 1.5125s
22. Simona de Silvestro HVM Dallara-Lotus 1m07.8648s + 1.5630s
23. Giorgio Pantano Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m08.0044s + 1.7026s
24. Takuma Sato Rahal Dallara-Honda 1m08.0341s + 1.7323s
25. Ed Carpenter Carpenter Dallara-Chevy 1m08.8247s + 2.5229s