Having received a four-place grid penalty prior to Monza's second Formula Renault 3.5 qualifying session, Carlin's Robert Wickens softened its impact by setting the fastest lap of 1m36.870s this afternoon.
ISR's Daniel Ricciardo is promoted into pole at Wickens' expense after finishing 0.17sec adrift of the Canadian. Ricciardo had a tough start to the day after being excluded from this morning's qualifying session for a technical infringement. Championship leader Jean-Eric Vergne will join Ricciardo on the front row in the second Carlin entry.
Kevin Korjus equalled his first qualifying result of fourth for Tech 1 Racing and will be aiming to repeat his race one victory. Spaniard Albert Costa bounced back from an eventful first race to secure fifth. The Epic Racing driver damaged the front wing of his car in this afternoon's encounter when Daniel Zampieri's BVM Target machine cut across his bows at the first chicane.
The only Italian driver in the field, Zampieri has not shone on home ground. An engine problem caused his retirement in race one and the pre-season Monza test pace-setter again complained of a down on power engine this afternoon.
Frenchman Arthur Pic (Tech 1) completed the top-six. Pic was another driver to be pleased with a fresh opportunity to prove his worth after becoming entangled in an incident with Jan Charouz at the Parabolica in race one.
Nelson Panciatici was able to take to the track after sitting out of race one with engine maladies. His KMP Racing crew fitted a new engine for this afternoon's session.
The session was once again extremely closely contested, with the first 19 drivers covered by a second.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Daniel Ricciardo ISR 1m37.040s + 0.170
2. Jean-Eric Vergne Carlin 1m37.122s + 0.252
3. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 1m37.140s + 0.270
4. Albert Costa EPIC 1m37.175s + 0.305
*5. Robert Wickens Carlin 1m36.870s
6. Arthur Pic Tech 1 1m37.191s + 0.321
7. Alexander Rossi Fortec 1m37.195s + 0.325
8. Sergio Canamasas BVM Target 1m37.252s + 0.382
9. Cesar Ramos Fortec 1m37.316s + 0.446
10. Brendon Hartley Gravity-Charouz 1m37.366s + 0.496
11. Nathanael Berthon ISR 1m37.378s + 0.508
12. Daniil Move P1 1m37.436s + 0.566
13. Stephane Richelmi Draco 1m37.452s + 0.582
14. Oliver Webb Pons 1m37.649s + 0.779
15. Anton Nebylitskiy KMP 1m37.714s + 0.844
16. Chris van der Drift Mofaz 1m37.788s + 0.918
17. Jan Charouz Gravity-Charouz 1m37.819s + 0.949
18. Sten Pentus EPIC 1m37.839s + 0.969
19. Nelson Panciatici KMP 1m37.847s + 0.977
20. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m37.876s + 1.006
21. Daniel McKenzie Comtec 1m37.964s + 1.094
22. Daniel de Jong Comtec 1m38.155s + 1.285
23. Andre Negrao Draco 1m38.199s + 1.329
24. Jake Rosenzweig Mofaz 1m38.301s + 1.431
25. Filip Salaquarda Pons 1m38.394s + 1.524
26. Daniel Zampieri BVM Target 1m38.415s + 1.545
* Wickens penalised four places for causing avoidable accident in Race 1