Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup went back-to-back as he took a comfortable win in race two of the ITM 400 on the streets of Hamilton in New Zealand.
Whincup took the lead on lap 10 and was never headed from that point on, winning by six seconds after easing up in the closing laps. Second was Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander, who was Whincup's closest challenger, but was lucky to escape a big moment leaping across the kerbs at the chicane in the middle of the race.
Third and fourth were the two Garry Rogers cars of Michael Caruso and Lee Holdsworth, Caruso pushing Tander in the early laps of the race before falling away as the race went on, while Holdsworth gained places when his crew did a great job during an early safety car when everyone dived to the pits for fuel and tyres.
In fifth place was Jim Beam Racing's Steven Johnson at the chequered flag, but along with Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom and Steven Richards in 14th and 15th, they were all excluded for having their rear brake rotors fitted on the wrong side of the car.
So fifth place was taken by the second HRT car of Will Davison. Rick Kelly was next in sixth, ahead of Shane van Gisbergen, Todd Kelly, Jason Bargwanna with Jonathon Webb completing the top 10.
Johnson's teammate James Courtney had dramas of his own, given a mechanical black flag for rear suspension dragging along the track, with fluid also dripping from the car when he came into the pits. He eventually resumed, finishing in 21st place.
Another frontrunner to have an issue was the race winner's teammate, Craig Lowndes, who was forced to pit mid-race with brake issues. Like Courtney, Lowndes rejoined the race but similarly was well down the order, finishing 19th.
Pos Driver Make Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1h30m34.7140s
2. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE + 6.2316s
3. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE + 19.5920s
4. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE + 22.8814s
5. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE + 32.1142s
6. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 39.9997s
7. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG + 47.3204s
8. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 48.0254s
9. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE + 49.7332s
10. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG + 50.0261s
11. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE + 52.9018s
12. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE + 54.7400s
13. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE + 1m11.0543s
14. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG + 1m12.3578s
15. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE + 1m14.7796s
16. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
17. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
18. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE + 2 laps
19. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE + 4 laps
20. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG + 7 laps
21. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG + 11 laps
Driver Make Laps
Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 39
Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 10
Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 9
Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1
Driver Make Laps
Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 59
Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 59
Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 59