Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup has taken pole position for race one of the Norton 360 Challenge at Sandown.
Whincup went into the top-ten shootout with a 0.35 second margin, but on his shootout lap he locked his rear brakes at the end of the back straight, but recovered from the moment to still take pole position.
Alongside him on the front row is Paul Dumbrell, equalling his best qualifying performance and following on from his best-ever race result at Symmon Plains last weekend, edging out Ford Performance Racing team-mate Mark Winterbottom.
A pair of Holden Racing Team Commodores follow Winterbottom, Will Davison less than half a hundredth of a second faster than Garth Tander, with championship leader James Courtney in sixth, having gained three places from his position before the shootout.
Lee Holdsworth, Russell Ingall and the Kelly brothers Rick and Todd complete the top ten, while the pole man's team-mate and championship contender Craig Lowndes failed to make the top ten, starting from 12th, though early in the session even that didn't look possible.
Jason Bright qualified 13th a day after a stuck throttle pitched him off at 250+ km/h into the barriers at turn one, three places ahead of the third FPR car of Steven Richards, just ahead of Alex Davison who just outqualified team-mate Shane van Gisbergen.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m10.8136s
2. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m10.9498s +0.1362s
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m10.9932s +0.1796s
4. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m11.1394s +0.3258s
5. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m11.1441s +0.3305s
6. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m11.3375s +0.5239s
7. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m11.4261s +0.6125s
8. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m11.4440s +0.6304s
9. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m11.6658s +0.8522s
10. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m12.1983s +1.3847s
11. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1m10.9526s +0.1390s
12. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m10.9607s +0.1471s
13. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m10.9645s +0.1509s
14. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m10.9742s +0.1606s
15. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m11.0468s +0.2332s
16. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m11.1001s +0.2865s
17. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m11.1126s +0.2990s
18. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m11.1380s +0.3244s
19. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m11.2216s +0.4080s
20. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m11.2576s +0.4440s
21. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m11.2826s +0.4690s
22. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m11.3086s +0.4950s
23. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m11.3359s +0.5223s
24. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 1m11.4358s +0.6222s
25. Andrew Jones Holden Commodore VE 1m11.4702s +0.6566s
26. Warren Luff Holden Commodore VE 1m11.5884s +0.7748s
27. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m11.6106s +0.7970s
28. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m11.7387s +0.9251s
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1m13.4849s +2.6713s