Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup continued his flying start to the year by taking pole position in the top-ten shootout for the first race of the Clipsal 500 around the streets of the Adelaide parklands.
Whincup was third fastest in an interrupted qualifying session, but put it all together on his shootout lap to take pole position, with the fastest driver in regular qualifying, Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander, starting alongside him despite a brake lockup at turn four on his shootout lap.
Two Fords fill the second row of the grid, Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom in third ahead of team-mate Paul Dumbrell in the Bottle-O car, Jason Richards and Fabian Coulthard just behind him.
Whincup's team-mate Craig Lowndes was seventh fastest, with Lee Holdsworth, Shane van Gisbergen and an impressive effort from Tony D'Alberto completing the top ten.
With a few surprises inside the top ten, several fancied runners failed to make the shootout. Todd Kelly led those in 11th, followed by Greg Murphy in his new Triple Eight-designed Castrol Commodore.
Jim Beam team-mates Steven Johnson and James Courtney struggled to find clear track during qualifying and ended up 13th and 16th respectively, Courtney one place behind Rick Kelly and one ahead of Michael Caruso.
Will Davison's up and down qualifying in 2010 continued in the second HRT car, qualifying 19th, one place ahead of Russell Ingall who also has had mixed results this season in the session.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m21.5887s
2. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m21.7839s +0.1952s
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m21.8360s +0.2473s
4. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m22.1511s +0.5624s
5. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1m22.1685s +0.5798s
6. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m22.1874s +0.5987s
7. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m22.2350s +0.6463s
8. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m22.3484s +0.7597s
9. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m22.3925s +0.8038s
10. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m22.6322s +1.0435s
11. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m21.9080s +0.3193s
12. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1m21.9708s +0.3821s
13. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m22.0534s +0.4647s
14. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m22.0572s +0.4685s
15. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m22.0968s +0.5081s
16. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m22.1912s +0.6025s
17. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m22.1924s +0.6037s
18. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m22.2065s +0.6178s
19. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m22.3856s +0.7969s
20. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m22.3905s +0.8018s
21. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m22.4129s +0.8242s
22. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m22.7128s +1.1241s
23. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m22.7238s +1.1351s
24. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m22.7405s +1.1518s
25. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m22.7853s +1.1966s
26. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m22.8215s +1.2328s
27. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1m23.2665s +1.6778s
28. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE 1m23.3133s +1.7246s
29. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 1m27.5393s +5.9506s