Jamie Whincup took pole position for race two of the Sucrogen Townsville 400, leading an all-Team Vodafone front row.
Whincup set a time of 1:12.8357 six minutes into the 20 minute session, a time which would have proved good enough for pole, but with three minutes remaining in the session he went faster again, taking pole by three tenths of a second ahead of team-mate Craig Lowndes.
Garth Tander was next best for HRT, while fourth fastest was James Courtney, who was found guilty of careless driving in yesterday's race for spinning his teammate Steven Johnson. However, despite Johnson losing 17 places and Shane van Gisbergen also losing a handful of places as he avoided Johnson's spun car, Courtney was given no penalty.
Another good qualifying session for Jason Bright, fifth fastest, with FPR's Mark Winterbottom next ahead of an improved performance for Will Davison.
Jason Richards showed his practice speed and race one speed again in today's qualifying session, lining up eighth, just ahead of a group of cars from ninth to 14th split by a tiny margin, Steven Johnson, Steven Richards, Lee Holdsworth, Jonathon Webb, Greg Murphy and Paul Dumbrell covered by less than five hundredths of a second.
Russell Ingall split the difference between yesterday's qualifying and race results to qualify 18th, nine places better than yesterday's starting position.
However, the three Stone Brothers cars struggled. After qualifying 9th, 17th and 19th yesterday, today 17th was the best any of their three cars could do, with their other two cars mired down in 24th and 25th place.
However, they were still better off than Todd Kelly, who will start from second-last position on the grid in 28th.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m12.7275s
2. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m13.0095s +0.2820s
3. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m13.1002s +0.3727s
4. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m13.1261s +0.3986s
5. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m13.1607s +0.4332s
6. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m13.2774s +0.5499s
7. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m13.2878s +0.5603s
8. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1m13.3214s +0.5939s
9. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m13.3435s +0.6160s
10. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m13.3440s +0.6165s
11. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m13.3552s +0.6277s
12. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m13.3620s +0.6345s
13. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1m13.3844s +0.6569s
14. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m13.3851s +0.6576s
15. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m13.4166s +0.6891s
16. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m13.4546s +0.7271s
17. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m13.4768s +0.7493s
18. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m13.4798s +0.7523s
19. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m13.5787s +0.8512s
20. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m13.5812s +0.8537s
21. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m13.5956s +0.8681s
22. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 1m13.6622s +0.9347s
23. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m13.6925s +0.9650s
24. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m13.7422s +1.0147s
25. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m13.8073s +1.0798s
26. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE 1m13.8208s +1.0933s
27. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m13.8239s +1.0964s
28. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m13.8531s +1.1256s
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1m15.1429s +2.4154s