Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup bounced back from his poor qualifying yesterday with pole position for race two of the Ipswich 300 at Queensland Raceway.
Whincup went to the top of the times halfway through the 20 minute session and went slightly faster on his next lap to secure top spot. He survived a late challenge from James Courtney, squeezing between Whincup and Whincup's teammate Craig Lowndes in the final minute of the session.
Shane van Gisbergen backed up his good finish in race one with fourth on the grid, just ahead of Lee Holdsworth, while Russell Ingall made a huge leap and will start sixth after qualifying 24th and finishing 14th yesterday.
Steven Johnson looked set for a better position than seventh but still shouldn't be too unhappy, just ahead of yesterday's pole man Garth Tander, with the third DJR car of Jonathon Webb just behind Tander, Ford Performance Racing's Steven Richards completing the top ten.
Just missing the top 10 in 11th and 12th were the two Jack Daniel's Racing cars of Rick and Todd Kelly. A locked brake and a trip through the gravel at turn three meant any hopes of Mark Winterbottom improving went out the window, and he will line up in 17th position, just ahead of the third FPR car of Paul Dumbrell.
Will Davison's 2010 struggles at Holden Racing Team continued as he starts 24th, one place ahead of older brother Alex. Again the session was a close one however, with less than eight-tenths of a second covering 28 of the 29 cars.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m09.7934
2. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m09.8794s +0.0860s
3. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m09.8869s +0.0935s
4. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m09.9472s +0.1538s
5. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m09.9813s +0.1879s
6. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m10.0123s +0.2189s
7. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m10.0455s +0.2521s
8. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m10.1112s +0.3178s
9. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m10.1158s +0.3224s
10. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m10.1301s +0.3367s
11. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m10.1341s +0.3407s
12. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m10.1627s +0.3693s
13. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m10.2586s +0.4652s
14. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m10.2716s +0.4782s
15. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1m10.2744s +0.4810s
16. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m10.2932s +0.4998s
17. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m10.3009s +0.5075s
18. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m10.3036s +0.5102s
19. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m10.3131s +0.5197s
20. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m10.3306s +0.5372s
21. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m10.4038s +0.6104s
22. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m10.4514s +0.6580s
23. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE 1m10.4586s +0.6652s
24. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m10.4901s +0.6967s
25. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m10.4998s +0.7064s
26. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1m10.5363s +0.7429s
27. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m10.5679s +0.7745s
28. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 1m10.5852s +0.7918s
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1m10.9918s +1.1984s