Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup claimed pole position with the fastest time in qualifying for race two of the BigPond 300 at Barbagallo.
Whincup went to the top of the times with two minutes remaining in the session, taking pole position ahead of Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom who had set the previous benchmark a couple of minutes earlier.
Holden Racing Team fill the second row, Garth Tander ahead of Will Davison with Rick Kelly just fractions of a second slower. Wilson Security's Fabian Coulthard did a much better job than yesterday to qualify sixth, exactly one-thousandth of a second faster than yesterday's pole man Craig Lowndes.
Completing the top 10 were the two Jim Beam Racing cars of James Courtney and Steven Johnson and the Fujitsu Racing Falcon of Jason Bright.
After Rick Kelly just missed the top 10 for race one, today it was Todd Kelly's turn, qualifying in 13th position, just behind Sprint Gas' Greg Murphy and the second FPR car of Steven Richards.
Two places back, Todd Kelly is the first of the Garry Rogers cars of Lee Holdsworth in 15th, his teammate Michael Caruso way back on the grid in 27th, where he is joined by Jason Richards who had another disastrous qualifying and will start 28th, second last on the grid.
Another driver who qualified a surprisingly long way down the field is Shane van Gisbergen in 21st, four places behind his teammate Alex Davison.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 0:57.1146
2. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 0:57.2379 + 0.1233
3. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 0:57.3237 + 0.2091
4. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 0:57.3660 + 0.2514
5. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 0:57.3715 + 0.2569
6. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG 0:57.4135 + 0.2989
7. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG 0:57.4145 + 0.2999
8. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 0:57.4283 + 0.3137
9. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 0:57.4450 + 0.3304
10. Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG 0:57.5321 + 0.4175
11. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 0:57.5809 + 0.4663
12. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 0:57.5987 + 0.4841
13. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6077 + 0.4931
14. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6388 + 0.5242
15. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6451 + 0.5305
16. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6549 + 0.5403
17. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 0:57.6588 + 0.5442
18. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6729 + 0.5583
19. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE 0:57.6846 + 0.5700
20. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 0:57.7078 + 0.5932
21. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE 0:57.7839 + 0.6693
22. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 0:57.7908 + 0.6762
23. Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF 0:57.8004 + 0.6858
24. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE 0:57.8771 + 0.7625
25. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 0:57.8982 + 0.7836
26. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE 0:57.9055 + 0.7909
27. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 0:57.9463 + 0.8317
28. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 0:58.1023 + 0.9877
29. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE 0:58.4412 + 1.3266