Jamie Whincup claimed his first Bathurst 1000 pole position in the top-10 qualifying shootout.
The current V8 Supercars championship leader produced a sensational lap at the end of the session and his time of 2m07.8825s denied Mark Winterbottom by just two-tenths of a second.
Whincup's pole also marks the 50th of the Triple Eight Holden driver's V8 career.
Jason Bright heads the second row of the grid, alongside Shane van Gisbergen, who he pipped in the final sector of the lap.
Behind the pair are James Courtney and Craig Lowndes, with the Holden Racing Team driver having had a rather scrappy first third of the lap, locking his rears at The Cutting and managing to avoid the barriers.
Will Davison starts from seventh having run wide at Hell Corner, which cost him a few tenths.
Scott McLaughlin lines up in eighth, ahead of David Reynolds who locked up on entry into Quarry, while Alexandre Premat rounds off the top 10.
The remainder of the starting order was set in Friday's qualifying session.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jamie Whincup Triple Eight Holden 2m07.8825s
2. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford 2m08.0764s +0.1939s
3. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden 2m08.2763s +0.3938s
4. Shane van Gisbergen Tekno Holden 2m08.2804s +0.3979s
5. James Courtney HRT Holden 2m08.8310s +0.9485s
6. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden 2m08.9636s +1.0811s
7. Will Davison FPR Ford 2m09.0023s +1.1198s
8. Scott McLaughlin Garry Rogers Holden 2m09.1926s +1.3101s
9. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford 2m09.2433s +1.3608s
10. Alexandre Premat Garry Rogers Holden 2m10.4145s +2.5320s