Mark Webber was quickest for Red Bull in the second Friday practice session for the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.
After Fernando Alonso had led the way this morning, Ferrari was once again the pacesetter for much of the session. Felipe Massa was quickest for a lengthy spell early on, before his teammate Alonso produced a 1m31.879s just after the halfway mark.
But his time on top only last a few minutes before Webber (Red Bull) lapped in 1m31.770s. He then cooled his tires for a while before putting in a 1m31.711s just before the one-hour mark, which kept him ahead for the rest of the day. Alonso, who also had a quick visit to the gravel and a sideways moment over the hairpin curbs dodging Michael Schumacher's Mercedes, remained second, ahead of the second Red Bull of Sebastian Vettel, and Massa.
The two Mercedes made late jumps to complete the top six, Schumacher ahead of Nico Rosberg. The latter had a high-speed trip through the Turn 6 gravel without damage.
The best of the McLarens was back in seventh in Lewis Hamilton's hands, while Jenson Button had to sit out the final 20 minutes with an issue on a development exhaust and was only 11th.
Renault's Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov were eighth and ninth, followed by Adrian Sutil's Force India.
Both Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastien Buemi missed most of the session. The Hispania parked up after just five laps with smoke from its rear, while a misfire on the Toro Rosso prevented Buemi from setting a time at all.
In a session that saw plenty of light visits to run-off areas, the only other incidents of note were a gravel trip by Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus and a spin over the damp grass for Virgin driver Timo Glock.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m31.711s 34
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m31.879s + 0.168 38
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m32.084s + 0.373 28
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m32.354s + 0.643 36
5. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m32.411s + 0.700 31
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m32.557s + 0.846 32
7. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m32.724s + 1.013 28
8. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m33.098s + 1.387 17
9. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m33.138s + 1.427 22
10. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m33.211s + 1.500 34
11. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m33.225s + 1.514 17
12. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m33.299s + 1.588 34
13. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m34.113s + 2.402 34
14. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m34.344s + 2.633 34
15. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m34.487s + 2.776 37
16. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m34.491s + 2.780 35
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m34.996s + 3.285 35
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m35.753s + 4.042 42
19. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m36.940s + 5.229 32
20. Karun Chandhok Lotus-Renault 1m37.248s + 5.537 33
21. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m37.313s + 5.602 33
22. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m38.145s + 6.434 31
23. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m40.737s + 9.026 5
24. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari No time 3
All Timing Unofficial