Mark Webber overcame a drive-through penalty to finally take his first Formula 1 victory as Red Bull Racing scored its third one-two of the season at the Nurburgring, but this time with Webber ahead of Sebastian Vettel at last.
The Brawns could not compete with the Red Bulls and fell back to fifth and sixth -- Jenson Button ahead of Rubens Barrichello -- behind Felipe Massa and Nico Rosberg when their three-stop strategies unfolded. The result reduces Button's championship lead to 21 points over Vettel, with Webber and Barrichello a further 1.5 and 3.5 points adrift, respectively.
An eventful start saw the KERS cars thrust forward, with Lewis Hamilton's McLaren charging down to the outside to go three-abreast with Barrichello and Webber- - who had already banged wheels as the poleman defended off the line -- into Turn 1.
Fisichella had briefly run in the top eight thanks to a bold early charge on a three-stop strategy, while Glock made up for his pitlane start following yesterday's poor qualifying and blocking penalty by running 37 laps on his first tank of fuel. His teammate Jarno Trulli went in the opposite direction -- pitting for repairs on the first lap and never featuring afterwards.
Kimi Raikkonen had run close behind teammate Massa until retiring with a loss of power, shortly after an incident with Adrian Sutil that ended the German's chances of taking Force India's first points.
Sutil had driven a brilliantly first stint, tagging on behind the Ferraris and then running as high as second thanks to staying out until lap 27 before pitting. But as he rejoined, he made contact with Raikkonen at the first corner and ripping a chunk from his front wing, forcing another stop.
PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS
The German Grand Prix
60 laps; 306.458km;
Weather: Cloudy, dry.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1h36:43.310
2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) + 9.252
3. Massa Ferrari (B) + 15.906
4. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) + 21.099
5. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) + 23.609
6. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) + 24.468
7. Alonso Renault (B) + 24.888
8. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) + 58.692
9. Glock Toyota (B) + 1:01.457
10. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) + 1:01.925
11. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) + 1:02.327
12. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) + 1:02.876
13. Piquet Renault (B) + 1:08.328
14. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) + 1:09.555
15. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) + 1:11.941
16. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) + 1:30.225
17. Trulli Toyota (B) + 1:30.970
18. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) + 1 lap
Fastest lap: Alonso, 1:33.365
Driver Team On lap
Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 35
Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 19
World Championship standings, round 9:
1. Button 68 1. Brawn-Mercedes 112
2. Vettel 47 2. Red Bull-Renault 92.5
3. Webber 45.5 3. Toyota 34.5
4. Barrichello 44 4. Ferrari 32
5. Massa 22 5. Williams-Toyota 20.5
6. Trulli 21.5 6. McLaren-Mercedes 14
7. Rosberg 20.5 7. Renault 13
8. Glock 13 8. BMW Sauber 8
9. Alonso 13 9. Toro Rosso-Ferrari 5
10. Raikkonen 10
11. Hamilton 9
12. Heidfeld 6
13. Kovalainen 5
14. Buemi 3
15. Kubica 2
16. Bourdais 2
All timing unofficial