Mark Webber was fastest in the final free practice session for the Belgian Grand Prix, which took place in wet conditions throughout.
The Red Bull driver set a 2m08.988s lap time to top the list ahead of Lewis Hamilton and Jaime Alguersuari in the Toro Rosso. Jenson Button was fourth, Sebastian Vettel fifth and Sebastien Buemi in the sister Toro Rosso sixth.
No change in the weather then at Spa on Saturday morning, as in fact track conditions were perhaps worse than at any point when the Formula 1 cars have been running on it this weekend.
Jerome D'Ambrosio initially led a trail of 14 pioneers out on to the waterlogged asphalt and, very sensibly, immediately led them all back in again.
Lewis Hamilton ventured out seven minutes in to the session and twice the 2008 world champion had to catch some rear snap as his McLaren ran over puddles on the straights. "There is plenty of aquaplaning out here," he calmly reported back on the radio. "It's massively wet."
It was just before the halfway mark when the two Toro Rossos braved it, as the rain began to abate slightly. Alguersuari and Buemi worked down into the 2m14s - which convinced others to return to the track, including Vettel and his Red Bull teammate Webber. The Australian quickly established himself at the top of the times with a 2m14.143s. Not for long though.
With just 20 minutes to go Alguersuari moved back to the top with a 2m13.357s. Seconds later, Buemi bumped him to second...
Meanwhile several cars were not coping so well with the weather. Bruno Senna ran wide in the Renault at Turn 5 and continued, Paul di Resta had a huge moment through Eau Rouge before spinning his Force India at Pouhon. Elsewhere both a Williams and a Mercedes ran wide...
Di Resta's acrobatics aside, the Scot was impressively fast, and moved to the top of the times with 15 minutes to go - his lap of 2m12.955s forcing teammate Adrian Sutil, who had just shot to the top, down to second.
Around the same time, Michael Schumacher became the first of the front-runners to risk the intermediate tires. His first lap, fairly wild as it was, was good enough to split the Force Indias and go second.
Once again the Toro Rossos responded with ten minutes to go, with first Alguersuari and then Buemi moving back to the front - the Swiss setting a 2m10.580s. The Spaniard then took another chunk off that mark with a 2m09.931s.
The Toro Rossos continued to look robust in the conditions, as more fancied runners proved unable to beat them, or perhaps more concerned about maintaining their four sets of inters and three sets of wets.
But the track by this time was giving more adhesion and it was only a matter of time before one of the big guns established himself and so it was that Webber moved to the top with six minutes to go - 2m08.988s.
That remained the standard as several drivers had a crack at beating it, Hamilton coming closest with a purple first sector on his final lap, which eventually was good enough for second.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap Laps
1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 2m08.988s 7
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 2m09.046s + 0.058s 8
3. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 2m09.931s + 0.943s 16
4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 2m10.257s + 1.269s 7
5. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 2m10.402s + 1.414s 9
6. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 2m10.580s + 1.592s 15
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m10.837s + 1.849s 12
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 2m11.437s + 2.449s 13
9. Bruno Senna Renault 2m11.664s + 2.676s 14
10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m11.667s + 2.679s 10
11. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 2m11.874s + 2.886s 13
12. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 2m13.036s + 4.048s 15
13. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 2m13.074s + 4.086s 12
14. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 2m13.182s + 4.194s 12
15. Vitaly Petrov Renault 2m13.290s + 4.302s 15
16. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 2m13.778s + 4.790s 12
17. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 2m14.334s + 5.346s 14
18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 2m14.682s + 5.694s 11
19. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 2m17.159s + 8.171s 12
20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 2m18.039s + 9.051s 10
21. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 2m19.001s + 10.013s 12
22. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 2m19.001s + 10.609s 14
23. Felipe Massa Ferrari 2m19.597s + 13.466s 7
24. Fernando Alonso Ferrari no time 5