Briton Oliver Webb took pole position for the Firestone Indy Lights race in Detroit.
Webb took the honors with a best time of 1m17.7720s to give the Sam Schmidt Motorsports team its 50th series pole. Tristan Vautier and last weekend's Freedom 100 winner Esteban Guerrieri secured a 1-2-3 for the Schmidt team by claiming the second and third spots on the grid.
Belardi's Alon Day was quickest of the non-Schmidt drivers with the fourth-best time in a session that was cut short by a red flag for a spinning David Ostella at Turn 14.
Among those who were denied a chance to improve their positions was championship contender Sebastian Saavedra (Andretti Autosport), who will start from 10th.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Oliver Webb Schmidt 1m17.7720s
2. Tristan Vautier Schmidt 1m18.1299s + 0.3579s
3. Esteban Guerrieri Schmidt 1m18.2360s + 0.4640s
4. Alon Day Belardi 1m18.4200s + 0.6480s
5. Victor Carbone Schmidt 1m18.4237s + 0.6517s
6. Peter Dempsey Younessi 1m18.4500s + 0.6780s
7. Gustavo Yacaman Moore 1m18.8023s + 1.0303s
8. Carlos Munoz Andretti 1m19.0546s + 1.2826s
9. David Ostella Moore 1m19.2297s + 1.4577s
10. Sebastian Saavedra AFS/Andretti 1m20.4357s + 2.6637s
11. Armaan Ebrahim Fan Force 1m21.0193s + 3.2473s
12. Juan Pablo Garcia Jeffrey Mark 1m21.1422s + 3.3702s
13. Rodin Younessi Younessi 1m30.4265s + 12.6545s
14. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi