Volkswagen has announced that it will attempt to defend his Dakar crown next year, committing to the rally for another year.
The German car manufacturer clinched a 1-2 victory in last year's event, winning the legendary rally for the second time in a row. South African Giniel de Villers won the event in 2009, with double rally champion Carlos Sainz taking his first victory earlier this year. On Monday, Volkswagen said it will be competing in the 2011 Dakar, which will be taking place in South America once again.
"We now have the opportunity to achieve the diesel hat-trick and to thereby make motorsport history again," said Volkswagen Motorsport Director Kris Nissen.
"We will again invest all our passion, heart and soul in this project at the next 'Dakar.'"