Maverick Vinales took his second straight pole position in 125cc qualifying at Assen.
The Spanish rookie beat Johann Zarco to the top spot by just under two tenths of a second, with Sandro Cortese completing the front row. Hector Faubel, Luis Salom and Efren Vazquez were next up.
Silverstone winner Jonas Folger crashed at the chicane right at the start of the session but rejoined later to take seventh.
Championship leader Nico Terol will start only eighth, having already crashed and hurt his hand in the morning, he had another accident near the end of qualifying.
All three men on the third row fell during the session, ninth-placed Sergio Gadea having also taken a tumble at the chicane early on, which briefly left him stranded in the middle of the track with other bikes dodging around him.
The session saw a heavy but brief rain shower right at the start. At that point, no one had managed a proper flying lap and home rider Jasper Iwema sat on provisional pole. Sadly for the Dutchman, conditions improved quickly, and he was left 33rd after crashing later on.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Maverick Vinales Blusens Aprilia 1m44.597s
2. Johann Zarco Ajo Derbi 1m44.785s + 0.188s
3. Sandro Cortese Germany Aprilia 1m44.787s + 0.190s
4. Hector Faubel Aspar Aprilia 1m44.963s + 0.366s
5. Luis Salom RW Aprilia 1m45.235s + 0.638s
6. Efren Vazquez Ajo Derbi 1m45.338s + 0.741s
7. Jonas Folger Ajo Aprilia 1m45.859s + 1.262s
8. Nicolas Terol Aspar Aprilia 1m45.983s + 1.386s
9. Sergio Gadea Blusens Aprilia 1m46.204s + 1.607s
10. Danny Kent Ajo Aprilia 1m46.568s + 1.971s
11. Danny Webb Mahindra 1m46.594s + 1.997s
12. Simone Grotzkyj Phonica Aprilia 1m46.610s + 2.013s
13. Giulian Pedone Phonica Aprilia 1m46.668s + 2.071s
14. Marcel Schrotter Mahindra 1m46.819s + 2.222s
15. Luigi Morciano Italia Aprilia 1m46.988s + 2.391s
16. Alexis Masbou Caretta KTM 1m47.091s + 2.494s
17. Sturla Fagerhaug WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 1m47.438s + 2.841s
18. Jakub Kornfeil Ongetta Aprilia 1m47.563s + 2.966s
19. Louis Rossi Matteoni Aprilia 1m47.819s + 3.222s
20. Alberto Moncayo Andalucia Aprilia 1m47.973s + 3.376s
21. Harry Stafford Ongetta Aprilia 1m47.977s + 3.380s
22. Luca Gruenwald Freudenberg KTM 1m47.996s + 3.399s
23. Adrian Martin Aspar Aprilia 1m48.003s + 3.406s
24. Niklas Ajo TT Motion Aprilia 1m48.351s + 3.754s
25. Taylor Mackenzie Phonica Aprilia 1m48.883s + 4.286s
26. Bryan Schouten Dutch Honda 1m49.002s + 4.405s
27. Peter Sebestyen Caretta KTM 1m49.118s + 4.521s
28. Alessandro Tonucci Italia Aprilia 1m49.377s + 4.780s
29. Jerry van de Bunt Jerrys Honda 1m49.625s + 5.028s
30. Josep Rodriguez Andalucia Aprilia 1m49.760s + 5.163s
31. Joan Perello Matteoni Aprilia 1m49.913s + 5.316s
32. Thomas Van Leeuwen Van Leeuwen Honda 1m50.020s + 5.423s
33. Jasper Iwema Ongetta Aprilia 1m51.856s + 7.259s
34. Ernst Dubbink RV Honda 1m52.054s + 7.457s
35. Francesco Mauriello WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 1m57.548s + 12.951s
36. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Ajo Derbi