Sebastian Vettel has vowed to push for victory in the Formula 1 season finale in Brazil even though he does not necessarily need to win to become World Champion.
The Red Bull driver starts fourth at Interlagos, three places ahead of title rival Fernando Alonso, who needs to outscore Vettel by 14 points to snatch the crown.
"I think we have a great car, we were quite competitive all weekend," said Vettel. "The McLarens looked a little bit faster. But in race pace, we will see.
"Sometimes we're a little bit closer so if there's a chance to win, then we go for victory."
Rain now looks less likely to be a factor in the race, but Vettel said he was trying to stay relaxed whatever the conditions.
"Weather is something that we can't influence," he said. "There might be some excitement during the race, some showers. We don't know even now so I think we have to take it as it comes.
"It's always something special here, the people are completely crazy. I'm really looking forward to the race this afternoon."
VETTEL WINS THE TITLE IF:
- He finishes in the top four
- He finishes fifth, sixth or seventh and Alonso doesn't win
- He finishes eighth or ninth and Alonso is third or lower
- He finishes 10th or worse and Alonso isn't on the podium
ALONSO WINS THE TITLE IF:
- He wins and Vettel is fifth or lower
- He is second and Vettel eighth or lower
- He is third and Vettel is 10th or lower