Sebastian Vettel closed out the last morning of Formula 1 testing at Mugello on top of the times for Red Bull Racing.
The German fired his way to the top of the times with a 1m21.314s flyer just over an hour before the lunch break, and then improved the benchmark time to a 1m21.267s several runs later.
Behind Vettel there was little breathing room. Fresh from topping Wednesday's times, Romain Grosjean was back in the hunt for Lotus, his best just 0.067sec slower than Vettel's. Fernando Alonso was just 0.029sec behind Grosjean, the top three covered by less than a tenth at the break.
But it was not all smooth running for Ferrari. Just under an hour into the day's running, Alonso went off at Turn 12, nudging the wall and damaging the front of the F2012. It took more than two hours for the Spaniard to return to the track. The team was running its latest upgrade package for the first time this morning.
Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso) and Sergio Perez (Sauber) finished fourth and fifth respectively, while Force India's Paul di Resta was sixth fastest despite having to be rescued from the gravel after an off at the exit of Scarperia halfway through the morning.
Heikki Kovalainen was the busiest driver for the morning, completing 62 laps in the Caterham. He finished up seventh, ahead of McLaren's Oliver Turvey, Nico Rosberg's Mercedes and Timo Glock's Marussia.
Pastor Maldonado ended the morning slowest, after completing just four laps thanks to an electrical problem on the Williams.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.267s
2. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m21.334s + 0.067s
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.363s + 0.096s
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m22.143s + 0.876s
5. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m22.229s + 0.962s
6. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m23.071s + 1.804s
7. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m23.169s + 1.902s
8. Oliver Turvey McLaren-Mercedes 1m23.221s + 1.954s
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.017s + 2.750s
10. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m24.310s + 3.043s
11. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m31.769s + 10.502s
All Timing Unofficial