Liverpool's Frederic Vervisch followed up his Algarve super final victory by winning the second race at Ordos in China on Sunday.
The Belgian's engine blew in race one, giving him a second-row starting spot on the reversed grid. He inherited the lead when early frontrunner Andy Soucek (Flamengo) spun away the top spot at the dusty chicane on lap five. Once in front, Vervisch was never challenged and pulled well clear of the pack to win by 7.6sec.
The true star of the race was Max Wissel (FC Basel) who raced from 18th to second. He charged through the field in the early laps, and picked off positions one after the other. A swift pit stop also helped his cause, and he was able to hold a recovering Soucek at bay to the finish.
Race one winner Ben Hanley (Olympiacos) was also flying again, and his final passing move, on the returning reigning champion Adrian Valles (Sporting Lisbon), on the penultimate lap, gave him fourth place.
Of the title contenders, AC Milan's Yelmer Buurman was seventh, Davide Rigon finished eighth for Anderlecht and Craig Dolby was 10th for Tottenham after a costly spin while battling with Valles.
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Frederic Vervisch Liverpool FC 45m12.859s
2. Max Wissel FC Basel + 7.625s
3. Andy Soucek Flamengo + 9.437s
4. Ben Hanley Olympiacos + 18.910s
5. Adrian Valles Sporting Lisbon + 21.612s
6. Franck Perera Girondins de Bordeaux + 42.618s
7. Yelmer Buurman AC Milan + 43.325s
8. Davide Rigon RSC Anderlecht + 47.052s
9. Marcos Martinez Sevilla FC + 54.986s
10. Craig Dolby Tottenham Hotspur + 55.977s
11. Adderly Fong PSV Eindhoven + 1m01.575s
12. Earl Bamber FC Porto + 1m09.357s
13. Ma Qing Hua Team China + 1 lap
Bruno Mendez Atletico de Madrid 17 laps
Robert Doornbos Corinthians 12 laps
Julien Jousse AS Roma 0 laps
Tristan Gommendy Olympique Lyonnais 0 laps