Giedo van der Garde set the fastest time in qualifying for Friday's GP2 Series feature race in Bahrain.
The Caterham driver's 1m42.451s pole lap was investigated by the stewards as he was one of many drivers to run wide on the exit of the final corner. The officials ruled that van der Garde had not gained an advantage and his pole stood.
Behind him, last week's double winner Davide Valsecchi (DAMS) just pipped Racing Engineering's Fabio Leimer for second. Max Chilton, quickest in this morning's practice session, was fourth quickest, just ahead of Carlin team-mate Rio Haryanto.
Lotus drivers Esteban Gutierrez and James Calado lost out as their decision to save a set of tires by not posting a time in practice failed to pay off. The Mexican was 13th, the Brit down in 22nd.
Luiz Razia (Arden), who is second in the championship standings, was sixth fastest.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Giedo van der Garde Caterham 1m42.451s
2. Davide Valsecchi DAMS 1m42.596s + 0.145s
3. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m42.619s + 0.168s
4. Max Chilton Carlin 1m42.628s + 0.177s
5. Rio Haryanto Carlin 1m42.691s + 0.240s
6. Luiz Razia Arden 1m42.839s + 0.388s
7. Rodolfo Gonzalez Caterham 1m42.951s + 0.500s
8. Dani Clos Addax 1m43.080s + 0.629s
9. Marcus Ericsson iSport 1m43.124s + 0.673s
10. Tom Dillmann Rapax 1m43.163s + 0.712s
11. Felipe Nasr DAMS 1m43.172s + 0.721s
12. Stefano Coletti Coloni 1m43.206s + 0.755s
13. Esteban Gutierrez Lotus 1m43.213s + 0.762s
14. Brendon Hartley Ocean 1m43.219s + 0.768s
15. Fabrizio Crestani Lazarus 1m43.311s + 0.860s
16. Nathanael Berthon Racing Engineering 1m43.328s + 0.877s
17. Jolyon Palmer iSport 1m43.391s + 0.940s
18. Fabio Onidi Coloni 1m43.447s + 0.996s
19. Nigel Melker Ocean 1m43.453s + 1.002s
20. Johnny Cecotto Addax 1m43.599s + 1.148s
21. Julian Leal Trident 1m43.659s + 1.208s
22. James Calado Lotus 1m43.757s + 1.306s
23. Simon Trummer Arden 1m43.929s + 1.478s
24. Stephane Richelmi Trident 1m44.100s + 1.649s
25. Ricardo Teixeira Rapax 1m44.850s + 2.399s
26. Giancarlo Serenelli Lazarus 1m45.036s + 2.585s