A last-gasp flying lap took iSport's Davide Valsecchi to the top of the timing screens in today's GP2 practice session at Istanbul.
The reigning Asia Series champion crossed the line with a 1m36.021s effort just seconds before the session ended, putting him just 0.148sec ahead of Barwa Addax's Giedo van der Garde, who up to that point had held top spot for most of the morning.
DPR's Michael Herck was a surprise third-quickest, edging out ART rookie Sam Bird, Barwa Addax's Sergio Perez and Racing Engineering's Christian Vietoris.
In a largely uneventful session aside from the odd harmless spin, it was Herck's teammate Giacomo Ricci who provided the only flash of mild drama by spinning and stalling at the chicane, prompting a brief spell under yellows while the Italian's car was pushed out of harm's way.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Davide Valsecchi iSport 1m36.021s
2. Giedo van der Garde Barwa Addax 1m36.079s + 0.058s
3. Michael Herck DPR 1m36.166s + 0.145s
4. Sam Bird ART 1m36.234s + 0.213s
5. Sergio Perez Barwa Addax 1m36.270s + 0.249s
6. Dani Clos Racing Engineering 1m36.277s + 0.256s
7. Christian Vietoris Racing Engineering 1m36.341s + 0.320s
8. Adrian Zaugg Trident 1m36.461s + 0.440s
9. Luiz Razia Rapax 1m36.467s + 0.446s
10. Giacomo Ricci DPR 1m36.484s + 0.463s
11. Marcus Ericsson Super Nova 1m36.546s + 0.525s
12. Pastor Maldonado Rapax 1m36.565s + 0.544s
13. Oliver Turvey iSport 1m36.567s + 0.546s
14. Alberto Valerio Coloni 1m36.780s + 0.759s
15. Jules Bianchi ART 1m36.781s + 0.760s
16. Charles Pic Arden 1m36.912s + 0.891s
17. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS 1m37.354s + 1.333s
18. Johnny Cecotto Trident 1m37.467s + 1.446s
19. Ho-Pin Tung DAMS 1m37.496s + 1.475s
20. Josef Kral Super Nova 1m37.593s + 1.572s
21. Max Chilton Ocean 1m37.603s + 1.582s
22. Vladimir Arabadzhiev Coloni 1m37.695s + 1.674s
23. Fabio Leimer Ocean 1m37.832s + 1.811s
24. Rodolfo Gonzalez Arden 1m38.114s + 2.093s