Aaro Vainio secured his second pole position of the GP3 season at the Hungaroring, and has closed the gap to points leader Mitch Evans as a result.
Lotus racer Vainio set two laps good enough for pole position, his initial 1m36.133s later topped by a last effort of 1m36.052s. That gave him a pole position advantage of 0.249sec over Antonio Felix da Costa's Carlin car, and the four points Vainio gains means he is now 14 points behind Evans (MW Arden), who could only qualify third, 0.329sec off the Finn's pace.
Marlon Stockinger will start fourth for Status, ahead of Arden's David Fumanelli. Lotus duo Daniel Abt and Conor Daly were next up, the latter furious at being held up by tail-ender Carmen Jorda at the final corner.
In fact there was a raft of incidents that the stewards will probably investigate ahead of the 11th round of the championship, mainly concerning drivers slowing into the final corner to get a good run to open their laps and baulking those who were already on a quick one.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Aaro Vainio Lotus 1m36.052s
2. Antonio Felix da Costa Carlin 1m36.301s + 0.249s
3. Mitch Evans MW Arden 1m36.381s + 0.329s
4. Marlon Stockinger Status 1m36.478s + 0.426s
5. David Fumanelli MW Arden 1m36.541s + 0.489s
6. Daniel Abt Lotus 1m36.569s + 0.517s
7. Conor Daly Lotus 1m36.783s + 0.731s
8. Kevin Ceccon Ocean 1m36.807s + 0.755s
9. Matias Laine MW Arden 1m36.866s + 0.814s
10. Patric Niederhauser Jenzer 1m36.867s + 0.815s
11. Robert Visoiu Jenzer 1m36.967s + 0.915s
12. Will Buller Carlin 1m37.065s + 1.013s
13. Lewis Williamson Status 1m37.066s + 1.014s
14. Giovanni Venturini Trident 1m37.264s + 1.212s
15. Tio Ellinas Manor 1m37.282s + 1.230s
16. Alex Brundle Carlin 1m37.612s + 1.560s
17. Facu Regalia Atech CRS 1m37.625s + 1.573s
18. Alex Fontana Jenzer 1m37.661s + 1.609s
19. Alice Powell Status 1m37.730s + 1.678s
20. Tamas Pal Kiss Atech CRS 1m37.882s + 1.830s
21. Dmitry Suranovich Manor 1m38.528s + 2.476s
22. Robert Cregan Ocean 1m38.560s + 2.508s
23. Fabiano Machado Manor 1m38.671s + 2.619s
24. Ethan Ringel Atech CRS 1m38.706s + 2.654s
25. Vicky Piria Trident 1m38.974s + 2.922s
26. Carmen Jorda Ocean 1m41.809s + 5.757s