Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup drove a perfect race to take a comfortable victory in race one of the Bigpond 300 at Barbagallo.
Using the sprint tires at the start of the race, Whincup took the lead from teammate Craig Lowndes at the start and made the most of his sprint tires, stopping just before half-distance, his strategy leaving him comfortably clear of the field in the closing laps.
Second was Todd Kelly who ran a similar strategy to Whincup after running fourth in the early running. However, for most of the second half of the race it looked like Bundaberg Red's David Reynolds would take second place.
Reynolds had stayed on the sprint tire at his pit stop, and resumed in a clear second place. But with seven laps remaining his front-left tire went flat, ending his podium hopes, eventually finishing 28th, two laps down after limping back to the pits.
Third and fourth were Mark Winterbottom and James Courtney who switched to the sprint tire at their pit stops around half-distance and used them to good effect, having run either just in or outside the top 10 in the early laps.
Fifth was Holden Racing Team's Will Davison, choosing to run less distance on the sprint tires than those ahead, with Craig Lowndes and Rick Kelly next after running just a handful of laps at the start of the race on the softer tires.
Greg Murphy was another driver to make good use of the sprint tires to finish eighth after starting 22nd, with Russell Ingall and Steven Johnson completing the top 10.
Pos Driver Make Time
1. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 41:33.5350
2. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 12.0729
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG + 12.7278
4. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG + 19.5339
5. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE + 27.2836
6. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG + 33.5556
7. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 38.5799
8. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE + 41.1059
9. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE + 42.0545
10. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG + 47.9816
11. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE + 49.0452
12. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE + 50.5409
13. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG + 56.1331
14. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
15. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
16. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
17. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
18. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
19. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
20. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
21. Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF + 1 lap
22. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
23. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
24. Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
25. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
26. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
27. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
28. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE + 2 laps
Driver Make Laps
Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE 36