Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup continued where he left off in race one by claiming pole position for race two of The Island 300 at Phillip Island.
Whincup was fast early in the session and went to the top of the times with less than three minutes remaining, then went a tenth and a half faster on his next lap to secure pole position. The improvement proved crucial as Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom barely failed to beat his time, missing out by less than 0.05 of a second with a lap in the final seconds of the session.
Third on the grid will be Team Autobarn's Paul Dumbrell, putting in an impressive performance after going off at Doohan Corner at high speed early in the session. Just behind Dumbrell will be Jason Richards, Rick Kelly, Shane van Gisbergen and Steven Johnson, the four drivers separated by 0.06 of a second, van Gisbergen and Johnson separated by just 0.0002 of a second!
Completing the top 10 on the grid will be yesterday's pole man Jason Bright in eighth, followed by championship contender Will Davison for Holden Racing Team and Garry Rogers driver Michael Caruso.
Starting alongside each other after their contact in race one yesterday will be Todd Kelly and Craig Lowndes in 11th and 12th, contact for which Lowndes was given a 38-second penalty. It demoted him to 28th in the race one results, just one place ahead of Kelly. Right behind them will be Garth Tander in the second HRT car, surprisingly down the grid for the third qualifying session in a row, just ahead of another usual top-10 qualifier, Fabian Coulthard.
With his unwell teammate starting seventh, James Courtney must have been disappointed to only set the 18th-fastest time, though he is closer to his teammate than Steven Richards in the second FPR car, starting 24th while teammate Winterbottom starts from the front row.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 1:35.1992
2. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1:35.2470 + 0.0478
3. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE 1:35.4984 + 0.2992
4. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1:35.5161 + 0.3169
5. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1:35.5433 + 0.3441
6. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1:35.5745 + 0.3753
7. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1:35.5747 + 0.3755
8. Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG 1:35.6667 + 0.4675
9. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1:35.6711 + 0.4719
10. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1:35.7320 + 0.5328
11. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1:35.7848 + 0.5856
12. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG 1:35.8131 + 0.6139
13. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1:35.8234 + 0.6242
14. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG 1:35.8551 + 0.6559
15. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1:35.8700 + 0.6708
16. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1:35.8702 + 0.6710
17. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE 1:36.0147 + 0.8155
18. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1:36.0313 + 0.8321
19. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1:36.1764 + 0.9772
20. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1:36.2916 + 1.0924
21. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1:36.3223 + 1.1231
22. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE 1:36.3596 + 1.1604
23. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE 1:36.4367 + 1.2375
24. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1:36.4701 + 1.2709
25. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1:36.6728 + 1.4736
26. Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF 1:36.7024 + 1.5032
27. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE 1:36.7710 + 1.5718
28. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE 1:36.8395 + 1.6403
29. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE 1:38.0072 + 2.8080