Juan Pablo Montoya claimed pole for the first race of the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
The Colombian set a time of 28.545 seconds at an average speed of 133.431mph on his second lap, beating Denny Hamlin's previous benchmark by more than three tenths of a second.
Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch ran after him and also beat Hamlin, but both ended up exactly 0.183s away from Montoya's time.
"This is a brand-new racecar and it's fast so it's nice to see," said Montoya after claiming his second Sprint Cup Series pole, having set the fastest time in the morning practice earlier in the day too. Last time we raced here we ran pretty good and with the rain coming some guys stayed out and we didn't get as good a finish as we should have. Hopefully we have a great sunny day on Sunday and the forecasts look pretty good. We've got a car fast enough to win, so we just have to be there at the end."
Stewart, a two-time winner at the track, will share the first row with Montoya, while Kurt Busch and Hamlin - one of the early runners - will start from the second row. Carl Edwards rounded out the top five, which was swept by Chase drivers. The first of the non-Chasers was Penske's David Stremme who was sixth quickest.
Points leader Mark Martin was 14th, two places ahead of Jimmie Johnson while Brian Vickers was the slowest qualifier of those in the Chase, ending up 26th after enduring fuel pressure issues in the morning practice.
Vickers will share the 14th row of the grid with his teammate Scott Speed, who beat fellow rookie Joey Logano, winner at the venue in June in a rain-shortened event.
Bobby Labonte was the fastest of the non-guaranteed drivers in eighth, while Derrike Cope and Dexter Bean both failed to make the field.
Pos Driver Car Speed Time Gap
1. Juan Montoya Chevrolet 133.431 28.545s
2. Tony Stewart Chevrolet 132.581 28.728s + 0.183s
3. Kurt Busch Dodge 132.581 28.728s + 0.183s
4. Denny Hamlin Toyota 132.030 28.848s + 0.303s
5. Carl Edwards Ford 132.012 28.852s + 0.307s
6. David Stremme Dodge 131.943 28.867s + 0.322s
7. Martin Truex Jr Chevrolet 131.852 28.887s + 0.342s
8. Bobby Labonte Chevrolet 131.847 28.888s + 0.343s
9. Kyle Busch Toyota 131.829 28.892s + 0.347s
10. Jeff Gordon Chevrolet 131.788 28.901s + 0.356s
11. Kasey Kahne Dodge 131.760 28.907s + 0.362s
12. Kevin Harvick Chevrolet 131.724 28.915s + 0.370s
13. David Reutimann Toyota 131.510 28.962s + 0.417s
14. Mark Martin Chevrolet 131.365 28.994s + 0.449s
15. Dave Blaney Toyota 131.352 28.997s + 0.452s
16. Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet 131.234 29.023s + 0.478s
17. Clint Bowyer Chevrolet 131.234 29.023s + 0.478s
18. Ryan Newman Chevrolet 131.229 29.024s + 0.479s
19. Casey Mears Chevrolet 131.089 29.055s + 0.510s
20. Joe Nemechek Toyota 131.080 29.057s + 0.512s
21. Michael Waltrip Toyota 131.058 29.062s + 0.517s
22. Greg Biffle Ford 131.031 29.068s + 0.523s
23. Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet 131.017 29.071s + 0.526s
24. Sam Hornish Jr Dodge 131.008 29.073s + 0.528s
25. Reed Sorenson Dodge 130.914 29.094s + 0.549s
26. Brian Vickers Toyota 130.649 29.153s + 0.608s
27. Scott Speed Toyota 130.649 29.153s + 0.608s
28. Robby Gordon Toyota 130.635 29.156s + 0.611s
29. Jamie McMurray Ford 130.617 29.160s + 0.615s
30. Mike Wallace Toyota 130.613 29.161s + 0.616s
31. Marcos Ambrose Toyota 130.595 29.165s + 0.620s
32. Jeff Burton Chevrolet 130.474 29.192s + 0.647s
33. Joey Logano Toyota 130.452 29.197s + 0.652s
34. AJ Allmendinger Dodge 130.421 29.204s + 0.659s
35. Elliott Sadler Dodge 130.305 29.230s + 0.685s
36. Tony Raines Dodge 129.900 29.321s + 0.776s
37. Erik Darnell Ford 129.789 29.346s + 0.801s
38. Matt Kenseth Ford 129.626 29.383s + 0.838s
39. Aric Almirola Dodge 129.331 29.450s + 0.905s
40. Paul Menard Ford 129.055 29.513s + 0.968s
41. John Andretti Chevrolet 128.841 29.562s + 1.017s
42. David Ragan Ford 127.278 29.925s + 1.380s
43. Michael McDowell Toyota 129.283 29.461s + 0.916s
Did not qualify:
Derrike Cope Dodge 127.053 29.978s + 1.433s
Dexter Bean Dodge 126.846 30.027s + 1.482s