Shoya Tomizawa was fastest on the first dry day of the inaugural Moto2 group test at Catalunya, while Wednesday pacesetter Roby Rolfo suffered a dislocated shoulder in an early accident.
Superbike convert Rolfo fell after just four laps this morning and dislocated his left shoulder, an injury that will sideline him for four weeks and rule him out of the major Moto2 test at Valencia on March 1-3.
Former 250cc midfielder Tomizawa emerged fastest by the end of today with a 1m49.4sec lap on his Technomag-CIP Suter MMX. Jules Cluzel and Yonny Hernandez were second and third, 0.2sec behind, ahead of 125cc champion Julian Simon and ex-MotoGP rider Yuki Takahashi, despite Simon having a crash. Kenny Noyes was quickest in the morning, and ended up sixth overall.
Other riders to fall without injury today included Aspar's Mike di Meglio, Thomas Luthi, Vincent Lonbois, Alex Debon and Fonsi Nieto.
Although 24 of the new Moto2 machines were on the track today, many likely frontrunners – including former MotoGP men Toni Elias, Alex de Angelis and Niccolo Canepa – are waiting until the Valencia test and the arrival of the official Honda Moto2 engine before starting to test in earnest.
Pos Rider Team Time
1. Shoya Tomizawa Technomag CIP 1m49.4s
2. Jules Cluzel Forward Racing 1m49.6s
3. Yonny Hernandez Blusens STX 1m49.6s
4. Julian Simon Mapfre Aspar Team 1m49.8s
5. Yuki Takahashi Tech 3 Racing 1m49.8s
6. Kenny Noyes Jack&Jones/Banderas 1m49.9s
7. Roberto Rolfo Italtrans STR 1m50.0s
8. Claudio Corti Forward Racing 1m50.1s
9. Alex Baldolini Caretta Technology 1m50.3s
10. Dominique Aegerter Technomag CIP 1m50.7s
11. Mike di Meglio Mapfre Aspar Team 1m51.0s
12. Sergio Gadea Pons Racing 1m51.0s
13. Mashel Al Naimi Blusens STX 1m51.2s
14. Fonsi Nieto G22 HolidayGym 1m51.2s
15. Scott Redding Marc VDS Racing Team 1m51.2s
16. Axel Pons Pons Racing 1m51.4s
17. Raffaele de Rosa Tech 3 Racing 1m51.5s
18. Thomas Luthi Interwetten Moriwaki 1m51.8s
19. Robertino Pietri Italtrans STR 1m51.9s
20. Joan Olive Jack&Jones/Banderas 1m51.9s
21. Stefan Bradl Viessmann Kiefer Racing 1m52.0s
22. Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing 1m52.8s
23. Vladimir Leonov Vector Kiefer Racing 1m52.9s
24. Yannick Guerra G22 HolidayGym 1m53.6s