Martin Tomczyk continued Audi's domination of the Lausitz DTM weekend by setting the pace in second practice at the German circuit.
The Phoenix Racing driver had sat outside the top 10 for much of the 90-minute session, but took his old-spec A4 to the top of the times in 1m18.912s with six minutes remaining, during which time the whole field were trying qualifying runs.
His time knocked Filipe Albuquerque's similar Team Rosberg-run car off the top spot by 0.128sec, with Oliver Jarvis improving from fourth to third in the final minute in the best of the newer-spec Abt Audis.
Jamie Green was the best Mercedes driver in fourth in his HWA machine, ahead of the Abt Audis of Miguel Molina and two-time series champion Timo Scheider.
Championship leader Bruno Spengler was next up in seventh, ahead of his HWA teammate Gary Paffett and the Persson Mercedes of Christian Vietoris, which had held the top spot for much of the first hour.
Edoardo Mortara brushed the wall in his Rosberg Audi with 20 minutes to go and then had a spin at Turn 5. He ended up 14th fastest, two places behind Ralf Schumacher and three ahead of David Coulthard.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Martin Tomczyk Phoenix Audi 1m18.912s
2. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m19.040s + 0.128s
3. Oliver Jarvis Abt Audi 1m19.098s + 0.186s
4. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m19.198s + 0.286s
5. Miguel Molina Abt Audi 1m19.238s + 0.326s
6. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m19.248s + 0.336s
7. Bruno Spengler HWA Mercedes 1m19.323s + 0.411s
8. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m19.381s + 0.469s
9. Christian Vietoris Persson Mercedes 1m19.390s + 0.478s
10. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m19.417s + 0.505s
11. Susie Stoddart Persson Mercedes 1m19.456s + 0.544s
12. Ralf Schumacher HWA Mercedes 1m19.478s + 0.566s
13. Tom Kristensen Abt Audi 1m19.526s + 0.614s
14. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m19.578s + 0.666s
15. Renger van der Zande Persson Mercedes 1m19.689s + 0.777s
16. Maro Engel Mucke Mercedes 1m19.701s + 0.789s
17. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m19.774s + 0.862s
18. Rahel Frey Phoenix Audi 1m20.060s + 1.148s