Nicolas Terol took his third pole position of the season in the 125cc class in qualifying for the French Grand Prix at Le Mans.
The 22-year-old Spaniard, who leads the world championship with 75 points having proved unbeatable in the first three races of the year, put his Aspar Aprilia on pole around halfway through the session. But he then improved his time to 1m43.834s with two minutes to go, just to ensure team-mate Hector Faubel would not deny him the top spot. Not satisfied with that apparently, his last lap of the session allowed him to close within a 100th of the qualifying record with a 1m43.578s.
Faubel ended up more than .389s behind Terol, while Maverick Vinales took his best grid slot of the season in third place, having been in a factor throughout the session.
Sandro Cortese denied himself the opportunity of a chance at the front row when he crashed late in the session ensuring that the German will start lower than third for the first time this year.
Behind Cortese was his countryman Jonas Folger while Frenchman Johann Zarco was sixth and fastest of the home riders on his Avant AirAsia Ajo bike.
Adrian Martin was seventh on the third Aspar Aprilia, while Sergio Gadea, Efren Vazquez and Luis Salom completed the top 10.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Nicolas Terol Aspar Aprilia 1m43.578s
2. Hector Faubel Aspar Aprilia 1m43.967s + 0.389s
3. Maverick Vinales Blusens Aprilia 1m44.315s + 0.737s
4. Sandro Cortese Germany Aprilia 1m44.355s + 0.777s
5. Jonas Folger Ajo Aprilia 1m44.497s + 0.919s
6. Johann Zarco Ajo Derbi 1m44.592s + 1.014s
7. Adrian Martin Aspar Aprilia 1m44.726s + 1.148s
8. Sergio Gadea Blusens Aprilia 1m44.755s + 1.177s
9. Efren Vazquez Ajo Derbi 1m44.776s + 1.198s
10. Luis Salom RW Aprilia 1m45.347s + 1.769s
11. Simone Grotzkyj Phonica Aprilia 1m45.423s + 1.845s
12. Miguel Oliveira Andalucia Aprilia 1m45.593s + 2.015s
13. Zulfahmi Khairuddin Ajo Derbi 1m45.629s + 2.051s
14. Jakub Kornfeil Ongetta Aprilia 1m45.682s + 2.104s
15. Alberto Moncayo Andalucia Aprilia 1m45.697s + 2.119s
16. Jasper Iwema Ongetta Aprilia 1m45.720s + 2.142s
17. Louis Rossi Matteoni Aprilia 1m45.746s + 2.168s
18. Danny Kent Ajo Aprilia 1m45.965s + 2.387s
19. Alexis Masbou WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 1m46.230s + 2.652s
20. Danny Webb Mahindra 1m46.381s + 2.803s
21. Luigi Morciano Italia Aprilia 1m46.473s + 2.895s
22. Harry Stafford Ongetta Aprilia 1m46.477s + 2.899s
23. Hiroki Ono Caretta KTM 1m46.531s + 2.953s
24. Marcel Schrotter Mahindra 1m47.364s + 3.786s
25. Francesco Mauriello WTR-Ten10 Aprilia 1m47.533s + 3.955s
26. Taylor Mackenzie Phonica Aprilia 1m47.540s + 3.962s
27. Niklas Ajo TT Motion Aprilia 1m47.563s + 3.985s
28. Giulian Pedone Phonica Aprilia 1m48.027s + 4.449s
29. Peter Sebestyen Caretta KTM 1m48.127s + 4.549s
30. Kevin Szalai Maxiscoot Aprilia 1m48.607s + 5.029s
31 Alessandro Tonucci Italia Aprilia 1m48.825s + 5.247s
32. Joan Perello Matteoni Aprilia 1m48.987s + 5.409s
33. Kevin Thobois RMS Honda 1m50.591s + 7.013s