Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander has secured pole position for tomorrow's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, taking back-to-back pole positions in the event.
On a track that improved as the shootout went on after heavy rain fell earlier in the afternoon and second-last to take to the track, Tander completed a near-perfect lap apart from a lock-up in the Chase on the final lap.
Some quick footwork unlocked the brake and he stayed on the track to record a 2:07.9463, the only car to sneak into the 2:07 bracket in the shootout.
Fifth to take to the track after qualifying sixth yesterday, Team Vodafone's Craig Lowndes went to the top of the times at the end of his lap and in the end was only topped by Tander, with Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom just behind him in third place.
A clean and smooth lap by Garry Rogers Motorsport's Lee Holdsworth secured him fourth position, while Team BOC's Jason Richards, who topped the times in yesterday's qualifying, couldn't repeat the effort in the shootout and ended up fifth after nearly hitting the wall at Reid Park and putting two tyres on to the dirt exiting the final corner.
Stone Brothers' Shane van Gisbergen and Jack Daniel's Racing's Todd Kelly will line up sixth and seventh, while each of the remaining drivers in the top ten had their own issues.
Paul Dumbrell looked set to put in a decent time in the second HRT car before a lock-up at the Chase saw him take to the grass, ending up eighth fastest, and may yet lose a position for the grassy shortcut.
Supercheap Auto's Russell Ingall was the first car on the track, and as a pioneer in the conditions as well as having the worst conditions to deal with, put in a conservative lap to ensure he came back with an undamaged race car and will line up ninth.
Tenth will be Sprint Gas's Greg Murphy. He should have been seventh, but failed to be at the end of pitlane to start his qualifying run at the required time, and so he was excluded from the results.
Pos Drivers Make Time
1. G Tander/W Davison Holden Commodore VE 2:07.9463
2. Lowndes/Whincup Ford Falcon FG 2:08.2231 + 0.2768
3. Winterbottom/S Richards Ford Falcon FG 2:08.2737 + 0.3274
4. Holdsworth/Caruso Holden Commodore VE 2:08.4268 + 0.4805
5. J Richards/McConville Holden Commodore VE 2:08.5015 + 0.5552
6. van Gisbergen/A Davison Ford Falcon FG 2:08.8159 + 0.8696
7. T Kelly/R Kelly Holden Commodore VE 2:09.8986 + 1.9523
8. Dumbrell/Baird Holden Commodore VE 2:10.1474 + 2.2011
9. Ingall/O Kelly Holden Commodore VE 2:12.4565 + 4.5102
10. Murphy/Skaife Holden Commodore VE
11. Coulthard/Patrizi Ford Falcon FG 2:07.7849 - 0.1614
12. Bright/Reindler Ford Falcon FG 2:07.8048 - 0.1415
13. Johnson/Courtney Ford Falcon FG 2:07.9528 + 0.0065
14. Luff/Webb Ford Falcon FG 2:08.0276 + 0.0813
15. Bargwanna/Noske Holden Commodore VE 2:08.0319 + 0.0856
16. Ritter/Besnard Holden Commodore VE 2:08.2135 + 0.2672
17. Simonsen/J Thompson Ford Falcon FG 2:08.3859 + 0.4396
18. Canto/Youlden Ford Falcon FG 2:08.4119 + 0.4656
19. D'Alberto/A Thompson Holden Commodore VE 2:08.4720 + 0.5257
20. Owen/Price Holden Commodore VE 2:08.7417 + 0.7954
21. McIntyre/Gaunt Ford Falcon FG 2:08.7687 + 0.8224
22. A Jones/B Jones Holden Commodore VE 2:08.9861 + 1.0398
23. Perkins/Wood Holden Commodore VE 2:09.1775 + 1.2312
24. Pretty/Collins Holden Commodore VE 2:09.1893 + 1.2430
25. Reynolds/Priaulx Holden Commodore VE 2:09.2743 + 1.3280
26. Assaillit/Lowe Ford Falcon BF 2:09.3111 + 1.3648
27. Morris/Slade Holden Commodore VE 2:09.3853 + 1.4390
28. Ricciardello/McNally Holden Commodore VE 2:09.6376 + 1.6913
29. Wall/L Tander Ford Falcon BF 2:10.4151 + 2.4688
30. Sieders/Fisher Ford Falcon BF 2:10.6107 + 2.6644
31. Walter/Douglas Holden Commodore VE 2:10.6224 + 2.6761
32. Bayliss/Fiore Holden Commodore VE 2:13.3271 + 5.3808