Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander followed on from victory in race one with pole position for race two of the Clipsal 500 on the streets of the Adelaide parklands.
Tander set the pace early in the session, and although he dropped down the order soon after, he fired in a flier with two minutes remaining in the session to take pole by a tenth of a second, ahead of Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup.
Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom qualified third despite some controversy during the session, as he was one of a group of drivers penalised for jumping the kerbs at the chicane, although the rule and how it was applied did not seem to fit the crime.
Alongside Winterbottom will be Jim Beam's Steven Johnson, with Garry Rogers' Michael Caruso next ahead of Rick Kelly and a return to form for Will Davison in seventh position.
James Courtney was the biggest loser in the chicane kerbs controversy, losing a time that would have put him fourth on the grid, and will instead start from ninth, a place ahead of Tony D'Alberto who made the top ten for the second race in a row.
Just missing the top ten were Jason Richards, Greg Murphy, Steven Richards, Craig Lowndes and Lee Holdsworth, who finished third in yesterday's race, filling positions 11 through 15 on the grid.
Despite finishing race one in tenth position after qualifying 20th, Supercheap's Russell Ingall had another poor qualifying session, and will start race two from 19th.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1m20.9560s
2. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1m21.0513s
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1m21.1788s
4. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1m21.2616s
5. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1m21.4465s
6. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m21.4698s
7. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1m21.4946s
8. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1m21.5496s
9. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1m21.5701s
10. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1m21.5992s
11. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1m21.6145s
12. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1m21.7072s
13. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1m21.7172s
14. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 1m21.7422s
15. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1m21.7579s
16. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1m21.8514s
17. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 1m21.9002s
18. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1m21.9301s
19. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1m21.9745s
20. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1m22.0832s
21. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1m22.1623s
22. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1m22.2307s
23. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1m22.3026s
24. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 1m22.4228s
25. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1m22.6178s
26. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 1m22.6279s
27. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE 1m22.8259s
28. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 1m23.3578s