Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander took victory in the first race of this weekend's V8 Supercar event at Symmons Plains.
Tander led at the start and apart from a brief period after his pit stop led the whole way, holding off a late challenge from Russell Ingall as both drivers made their way through lapped traffic late in the race.
Steven Johnson finished the best-placed Ford in third position, while Tander's team-mate Will Davison's decision to pit at the end of lap one paid off, finishing fourth after starting 14th.
Jim Beam Racing's Todd Kelly finished fifth despite a bumping incident with James Courtney early in the race, which saw Kelly's car bump Courtney's car several times, almost putting Courtney off the road as he did so.
Courtney was forced to pit soon after with the right rear tire having come off the wheel, almost certainly as a result of Kelly's contact, the Jim Beam driver eventually finishing last two laps down.
The two Team Vodafone cars used different strategies but neither worked that well, Craig Lowndes moving up from ninth to seventh, while Jamie Whincup finished where he started in eighth but only after a few late passes.
As impressive as Davison's climb from 14th to fourth was, Cameron McConville's climb from last to 14th was probably even better.
What looked like a good result for Steven Richards turned sour in the closing laps, as it was discovered he had not quite put the mandatory 50 litres of fuel in at his pit stop.
Running fourth at the time, he dropped down the order to 15th at the end, still one place ahead of teammate Mark Winterbottom who had pit dramas of his own with a front-left wheelnut that didn't want to go on.
Pos Driver Make Laps
1. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 42
2. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 42
3. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 42
4. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 42
5. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 42
6. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 42
7. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG 42
8. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 42
9. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 42
10. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 42
11. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 42
12. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 42
13. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE 42
14. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG 42
15. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 42
16. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 42
17. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 42
18. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 41
19. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 41
20. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE 41
21. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE 41
22. Marcus Marshall Ford Falcon BF 41
23. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE 41
24. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE 41
25. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 41
26. Jason Bright Ford Falcon BF 41
27. Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF 40
28. Dale Wood Holden Commodore VE 40
29. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE 40
30. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 40