Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander made up for yesterday's disappointment with victory in race two of the BRC Impco V8 Supercars GP Challenge at Albert Park.
Tander led from start to finish, fending off yesterday's winner James Courtney into Turn 1 at the start, Shane van Gisbergen also pressing Tander hard on the opening lap before Tander began to ease away. But a charging Jamie Whincup, who dropped to seventh early on lap one before charging his way back up the field, closed on Tander throughout the race, catching him in the final two laps but was unable to make a pass.
Courtney followed up yesterday's win with a third place, just holding off van Gisbergen on the final lap, with Mark Winterbottom finishing fifth after making a great start from ninth on the grid.
Another pair to move up the order were Will Davison and Steven Johnson, while Craig Lowndes, who was challenging for third place in the opening laps of the race, began to fall back soon after and despite an off-track excursion managed to hold onto eighth place, just ahead of Paul Dumbrell and Lee Holdsworth.
Todd Kelly's hopes of another strong finish disappeared early in the race, leaking brake fluid forcing him out in the opening laps.
Pos Driver Make Time
1. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 25m58.1135s
2. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE + 0.3771s
3. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG + 4.3456s
4. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG + 5.9893s
5. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG + 6.7433s
6. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE + 10.5137s
7. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG + 10.8146s
8. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE + 14.1874s
9. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG + 15.2845s
10. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE + 15.7980s
11. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG + 21.5556s
12. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE + 22.5554s
13. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE + 23.0405s
14. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG + 23.9013s
15. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE + 25.4302s
16. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE + 25.6329s
17. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG + 28.2674s
18. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE + 28.4874s
19. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE + 30.1819s
20. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE + 32.0955s
21. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG + 32.7666s
22. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE + 33.9129s
23. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE + 36.3332s
24. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE + 37.5354s
25. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE + 37.8182s
26. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG +1m01.0493s
27. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE +1m12.8459s
28. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE + 1 lap
Driver Make Laps
Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 3