Estonian driver Ott Tanak says his retirement from the Acropolis Rally has all but finished his hopes of winning this year's Super 2000 World Rally Championship.
Tanak rolled his Ford out of the event on today's opening stage, while nursing a near half-minute lead over Skoda's Juho Hanninen. Coming into the Greek round of the SWRC, Tanak was the joint leader of the series, but he says the no-score in Loutraki will hit him hard.
"There's nothing much to feel at the moment," said Tanak. "There is nothing good coming our way and I think the championship is finished for us, there's not so many rounds left for us to come back."
Hanninen was just four points behind Tanak when he started the event and will take the lead of the series for the first time if he remains at the front of the field. Tanak does not expect to restart for tomorrow's final day due to the accident damage.
"I don't think we'll be back tomorrow," he said. "We went off in a long fourth-gear corner, when the back of the car dropped into ditch at the exit of the corner and started to roll. It wasn't too big an accident, but obviously it was big enough [to put us out]."
Tanak had previously dropped out of the lead fight on the SWRC's series-opening round in Mexico, when he dropped the Fiesta S2000 on the first stage on Saturday, though he went on to win the class in Italy.