Suzuki team manager Davide Brivio says the firm's decision to delay its MotoGP comeback until 2015 was made so it can challenge Honda and Yamaha from the outset.
Although Suzuki formally confirmed its new MotoGP program on Monday, it put its return back to 2015 rather than the previously mooted '14. That choice came despite the new Suzuki MotoGP bike already being out testing, and showing promising form in its first meeting with the 2013 field at Barcelona this week.
Ex-Yamaha chief Brivio told MotoGP.com that the 2014 rule changes, and the need to move to a standard Magneti Marelli ECU, prompted the delay.
"Suzuki thought that we need more time to develop," he said. "There are some quite important changes to the rules coming up: new electronics, the fuel consumption will be further restricted.
"To enter into MotoGP and to challenge such strong competitors as the two brands that are dominating now is not an easy thing. We'd like to be prepared for that, so one more year will be very useful to set the bike up and fix the decisions about specifications. So we've delayed one more year, but I think it's very, very important and positive that Suzuki has decided to re-enter MotoGP."
Test rider Randy de Puniet put the Suzuki eighth in the field on Monday, 0.772 seconds behind Yamaha's world champion pacesetter Jorge Lorenzo.
"Of course it's only a test but it's nice to be in the middle of the group," said Brivio. "We are happy because we didn't have any major problems on the bike and the job went very smoothly."