Adrian Sutil insists that the controversy about a nightclub incident in Shanghai is not proving to be a distraction from his on-track efforts this weekend. The German is facing the prospect of a criminal complaint from Renault team shareholder Eric Lux over an incident that took place following the Chinese Grand Prix. Despite huge interest in the story, and a larger than normal media interest around him in Spain on Thursday, Sutil said that he was not letting the matter weigh him down.
"To be honest, it is one part of my life, but I am concentrating on the racing at the moment and that is what counts," said the Force India driver. "I am here in Barcelona to focus on my race this weekend, focus for the next one in Monaco. That is all that counts and that is all I can answer at the moment."
When asked if it was not hard to keep the focus on racing under such difficult circumstances, Sutil said: "There are always difficult situations but I have to live with it."
Sutil's manager Manfred Zimmermann clarified that there were no questions over Sutil's continued presence in the team, even though a statement from Force India issued last week only mentioned him racing in Spain.
"The team was asked, 'Will Adrian be in the car in Barcelona?' And the team said, 'Yes, he will be in the car in Barcelona.' That is it," he explained. When asked if Sutil will definitely be racing for the remainder of the season, Zimmermann said: "Yes, but you have to ask Vijay [Mallya, team principal] – anything can happen. Are you sure Fernando will be in the car in Monaco?"