Adrian Sutil has played down suggestions that he may lose his drive with Force India even though it has emerged that Renault co-owner Eric Lux has filed an official criminal complaint against him with the Munich State Prosecutor.
The German driver is alleged to have injured Lux during an incident between the pair in a nightclub in China two months ago, but when asked during a pre-European Grand Prix media briefing whether he thought news of the complaint would affect his position with Force India, Sutil replied: "Why should I lose my drive. That's a private thing and this is my work here, so..."
A spokesman for the Munich State Prosecutor confirmed on Thursday morning that there was a pending complaint for grievous bodily harm against Sutil.
Force India owner Vijay Mallya last month indicated that Sutil's drive could possibly be under threat should Lux file charges. But when asked about this, Sutil replied: "Well it depends what is the truth. We want to hear the truth and we hope we are going to know that very soon."
Sutil, who at the time of the press conference had not received any information of the complaint, said he intended to carry on as normal while the issue played out in the background.
"There has been a story out there now for a few months," he said. "What can I say? I mean, I have to concentrate on my job anyway. If he does that, then we can go to court. Yeah, of course, it is a bit strange that it took so long, but it is out and let's see. Everything else we'll find out, or we'll go on and stuff like that, but I can't really say anything more about it.
"First of all I have to know what is going on here and my manager will arrive soon and I think we have to wait until he is here, and then I can talk to him and see what is next. The story came out this morning; to be honest, I didn't read it until the last few minutes. You know already before me. I don't really know a lot."