Alvaro Parente followed up his GP2 success at Spa last weekend by winning the second Superleague Formula race on home turf for FC Porto at Estoril on Sunday.
Parente took the lead during the mandatory pit stop phase, as early leader Enrique Bernoldi (Flamengo) stayed out too late. Bernoldi gave away a lead of over 3 seconds by staying out three laps too late, as Parente was lapping over 1.5s quicker after his stop.
Parente held off a late charge from Formula 1 refugee Sebastien Bourdais (Sevilla), who closed a 5sec deficit to 1sec by the finish, but the four-time Champ Car title winner was never close enough to find a way past. Bourdais had passed Bernoldi with a textbook push-to-pass move into Turn 1 just after half distance.
The other potential race winner was Franck Perera (AS Roma), who charged up to fourth early on but suffered a disastrous pit stop when his engine stalled, putting him out of the reckoning.
Bernoldi held on to third despite huge pressure from Yelmer Buurman (Anderlecht), who charged past Antonio Pizzonia (Corinthians) and Giorgio Pantano (AC Milan) to finish fourth. This was all the more remarkable considering Buurman took a trip into the Turn 2 gravel on the opening lap and dropped to the back of the field.
Ho Pin Tung finished seventh, ahead of Rangers' John Martin, who spun after clashing with Maria de Villota (Atletico Madrid). Max Wissel (FC Basel) crossed the line ninth, but pitted too early and received a 25sec penalty, which promoted title rival Adrian Valles (Liverpool).
Liverpool now leads Tottenham by 58 points in the championship after Craig Dolby was forced out on the second lap.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Alvaro Parente FC Porto 46:07.422
2. S.Bourdais Sevilla FC + 1.065
3. Enrique Bernoldi Flamengo + 19.892
4. Yelmer Buurman Anderlecht + 20.373
5. Antonio Pizzonia Corinthians + 20.747
6. Giorgio Pantano AC Milan + 28.774
7. Ho-Pin Tung Galatasaray + 34.531
8. John Martin Glasgow Rangers + 35.266
9. Adrian Valles Liverpool + 38.677
10. Carlo van Dam PSV Eindhoven + 45.032
11. M.Wissel FC Basel +1:00.641
12. Franck Perera AS Roma +1:35.981
13. Maria de Villota Atletico Madrid + 1 Lap
14. E.Guerrieri Olympiacos + 2 Laps
15. N.Panciatici Olympique Lyonnais + 2 Laps
16. Kasper Andersen FC Midtylland + 24 Laps
17. Pedro Petiz SC de Portugal + 27 Laps
18. Craig Dolby Tottenham Hotspur + 29 Laps