When STP and Richard Petty first signed an agreement in 1972, it forever changed the sponsorship landscape within the sport of auto racing. To mark its 39-year history in racing, the STP brand is once again building its presence in the sport. STP's racing portfolio will include an STP-branded No. 43 car to be driven by A.J. Allmendinger, during the STP 400. The No. 43 STP Ford Fusion will be a modern replica of the 1972 paint scheme featuring the original Petty Blue and STP Day-Glo Red (BELOW).
Other aspects of STP's expanded motorsports involvement include:
- Multi-year title sponsorship of the Nationwide and Cup races at Chicagoland Speedway and Kansas Speedway in June.
- Primary sponsor of two-time NHRA Full Throttle Nitro Funny Car Champion Tony Pedregon for three races (Las Vegas, Houston and Infineon) and an associate sponsorship for the balance of the season.
- Multi-year track sponsorships with ISC properties including Daytona, Talladega, Richmond, Darlington, Michigan, Chicagoland and Kansas.
- Multi-year track sponsorship of Infineon Raceway and title sponsor of Wednesday Night Drags and Bracket Drags.
- Continued sponsorship of Tony Stewart Racing and four-time World of Outlaws Champion Donny Schatz and the World of Outlaws Series.
"Since our initial sponsorship with Richard Petty almost 40 years ago, we've understood the power of racing and the ability to connect with our consumers through the sport," said Dave Lundstedt, CEO of Armored AutoGroup Inc. "We are excited to be continuing that relationship with the fans and adding another chapter to our storied racing history with a diverse stable of sponsorships."
Richard Petty drove the No. 43 STP car for 200 wins during his racing career – 100 more than any other driver.
"Since '72, I've been an STP man, so I'm thrilled to see one of the RPM cars out on the track with the STP paint scheme," said Petty, team owner of Richard Petty Motorsports. "It's exciting to see such an iconic brand build upon its heritage in the sport at this level."
"We are extremely proud to announce this multi-year partnership with STP at several ISC tracks," said Daryl Q. Wolfe, vice president at ISC. "It is always great to see iconic sponsors like STP take a renewed interest in the sport, especially given STP's long and rich history in NASCAR and motorsports as a whole. We take pride in developing strong promotional platforms for our partners and we look forward to working closely with STP in the future to meet and exceed their marketing objectives."