Casey Stoner topped the first day of MotoGP winter testing at Valencia as a number of riders came to grips with their new teams and bikes.
The 24-year-old Ducati rider completed 32 laps throughout the day, setting a best time of 1m32.660sec to top the time sheet. Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo was Stoner's closest challenger, the Spaniard lapping 0.025 seconds slower and relegating his MotoGP champion teammate Valentino Rossi to third.
Dani Pedrosa, who won the Valencia Grand Prix last weekend, and Nicky Hayden were next up for Honda and Ducati, while World Superbike champion Ben Spies was the best of the newcomers as he went sixth quickest on his first day with the Tech 3 Yamaha squad.
Marco Melandri made his return to Gresini Honda after two seasons away and was 1.4sec quicker than his 2010 teammate Marco Simoncelli, who was testing a MotoGP bike for the first time.
Fellow 250cc aces Alvaro Bautista, Hector Barbera and new world champion Hiroshi Aoyama all became acquainted with their new teams as well. Bautista was 15th quickest for Suzuki with Barbera on an Aspar Ducati and Aoyama riding for Daniel Epp's new Honda team.
As well as the 17 MotoGP machines on track, the Promo-Harris and FTR Moto2 bikes were also in action. The quickest of the Moto2 riders was Kenny Noyes for the Promoracing team. His best time was around 1.7sec off those of the 250cc bikes that the class is replacing next year.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m32.660s 32
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m32.685s +0.025s 45
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m32.826s +0.166s 37
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m33.088s +0.428s 31
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m33.358s +0.698s 58
6. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m33.469s +0.836s 50
7. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m33.675s +1.015s 51
8. Mika Kallio Ducati 1m33.726s +1.066s 52
9. Randy de Puniet Honda 1m33.775s +1.115s 61
10. Marco Melandri Honda 1m33.839s +1.179s 59
11. Aleix Espargaro Ducati 1m33.878s +1.218s 63
12. Colin Edwards Yamaha 1m33.929s +1.269s 35
13. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m34.144s +1.484s 55
14. Marco Simoncelli Honda 1m35.229s +2.569s 51
15. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m35.772s +3.112s 52
16. Hector Barbera Ducati 1m36.204s +3.544s 63
17. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1m37.964s +5.304s 40