Casey Stoner topped the opening day of MotoGP's final preseason test of 2012 at Jerez on Friday.
The reigning champion completed 54 laps on his Honda and set the benchmark time of 1m39.146s on his very last tour, leaving him 0.273sec ahead of Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo.
Stoner declared himself happy with the day, having gone quickest at a time when increasingly windy conditions were making it difficult for riders to keep control of their bikes.
"Today has been quite good, we did a race distance with a soft set of tires this morning and we were getting quicker and quicker as we progressed, but I think also the circuit was getting better," Stoner said. "Then we put the hard tire on and did a tire comparison and we had very similar feelings to what we had in [the previous test at] Sepang.
"We tried a few things with the chassis as the bike was proving slow to turn in the corner but in general it is working well especially at the end of the tire life. On the last exit we did our fastest lap on a new soft rear tire. It's been a good first day."
Lorenzo had held the top spot for much of the day as the Spaniard focused on the electronics on his Yamaha, but was forced to settle for second, ahead of Dani Pedrosa, who lost a chunk of the afternoon to a mechanical problem on one of his two factory Hondas.
Ben Spies was fourth for Yamaha ahead of the Tech 3-run M1 of Cal Crutchlow, who was the fastest of the non-factory riders in fifth. Next up were Ducati rider Nicky Hayden and Alvaro Bautista on his Gresini Honda, although the latter crashed early in the day.
Rounding out the top 10 were Tech 3's Andrea Dovizioso, the struggling Valentino Rossi's Ducati and Moto2 champion Stefan Bradl's LCR Honda.
Former LCR rider Randy de Puniet was the fastest of the CRT riders in action on his Aspar Aprilia, just 0.1sec off Rossi's time.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 1m39.146s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m39.419s + 0.273s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.579s + 0.433s
4. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m39.984s + 0.838s
5. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m40.130s + 0.984s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m40.512s + 1.366s
7. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m40.545s + 1.399s
8. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 1m40.665s + 1.519s
9. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m40.920s + 1.774s
10. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m40.983s + 1.837s
11. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m41.015s + 1.869s
12. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 1m41.388s + 2.242s
13. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m41.603s + 2.457s
14. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m42.293s + 3.147s
15. Franco Battaini Ducati 1m42.403s + 3.257s
16. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 1m42.464s + 3.316s
17. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda 1m42.655s + 3.509s
18. Danilo Petrucci Ioda 1m42.750s + 3.604s
19. Mattia Pasini Speed Master 1m43.006s + 3.509s
20. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m43.437s + 4.291s
21. James Ellison Paul Bird Aprilia 1m43.477s + 4.331s
22. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m44.025s + 4.879s