Casey Stoner continued to establish his authority in practice for the French Grand Prix after finishing on top in the second session on Friday.
The Australian Honda rider, who in the morning session had already broken the Le Mans circuit record, shattered the benchmark time once again by becoming the first man to lap in the 1m33s.
Stoner's lap of 1m33.782 was nearly four tenths quicker than his morning's best and over 0.4sec faster than Marco Simoncelli, second fastest. The Gresini rider, using the same equipment as the works Honda men, continued to show promising form by outpacing Spanish Grand Prix winner and Stoner's teammate Dani Pedrosa, the Spaniard having to settle for third position.
Pedrosa was the only front runner who did not improve on his morning time.
Nicky Hayden made significant progress compared to the opening session of the weekend, the American finishing as fourth quickest and also the top Ducati rider.
Jorge Lorenzo finished again in fifth position, although the Yamaha rider managed to reduce the gap to Stoner to eight tenths.
Hayden's teammate Valentino Rossi had another low-key session, the Italian still over a second off the pace down in ninth position.
Pos Rider Team Time Laps
1. Casey Stoner Repsol Honda Team 1m33.782 20
2. Marco Simoncelli San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m34.186 + 0.404 21
3. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 1m34.478 + 0.696 23
4. Nicky Hayden Ducati Team 1m34.652 + 0.870 21
5. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 1m34.659 + 0.877 21
6. Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Team 1m34.705 + 0.923 21
7. Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m34.939 + 1.157 21
8. Hiroshi Aoyama San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m34.959 + 1.177 21
9. Valentino Rossi Ducati Team 1m34.966 + 1.184 21
10. Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 1m34.976 + 1.194 25
11. Randy De Puniet Pramac Racing Team 1m34.998 + 1.216 21
12. Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m35.158 + 1.376 20
13. Loris Capirossi Pramac Racing Team 1m35.383 + 1.601 23
14. Hector Barbera Mapfre Aspar Team MotoGP 1m35.902 + 2.120 19
15. Alvaro Bautista Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1m35.992 + 2.210 21
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda MotoGP 1m36.304 + 2.522 21
17. Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing 1m36.327 + 2.545 20