Casey Stoner knocked Jorge Lorenzo off the top spot in the closing minutes of the final day of preseason MotoGP testing at Jerez on Sunday.
Yamaha rider Lorenzo had led the way for the majority of the day, which saw teams completing plenty of mileage to make up for the time lost to rain on Saturday.
It was only in the final quarter of an hour that Stoner (Honda) usurped Lorenzo, before improving to a 1m38.780s with his very last lap of the day, putting him 0.173sec ahead of his predecessor as champion.
Their teammates were next up – Honda's Dani Pedrosa taking third and Ben Spies putting his Yamaha fourth.
Valentino Rossi enjoyed a more encouraging final day, feeling that Ducati had started to get back on track after going off course with set-up at the previous Sepang test. The Italian was sixth, sandwiched between the Tech 3 Yamahas of Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso, while Nicky Hayden claimed eighth on the second Ducati.
Alvaro Bautista escaped a crash without injury to take ninth for Gresini Honda, with LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl 10th.
Randy de Puniet again showed well on a CRT bike as he took his Aspar Aprilia to 13th, 1.8sec off the overall pace and only half a second from the outright top 10.
The session was red-flagged near the end when Mattia Pasini crashed heavily. The Speed Master rider was unhurt.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 1m38.780s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m38.953s + 0.173s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.157s + 0.377s
4. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m39.495s + 0.715s
5. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m39.585s + 0.805s
6. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m39.733s + 0.953s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 1m39.860s + 1.080s
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m39.919s + 1.139s
9. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m40.017s + 1.237s
10. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m40.098s + 1.318s
11. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 1m40.287s + 1.507s
12. Karel Abraham Cardion AB Ducati 1m40.579s + 1.799s
13. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m40.601s + 1.821s
14. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m41.645s + 2.865s
15. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Aprilia 1m41.926s + 3.146s
16. Franco Battaini Ducati 1m42.057s + 3.277s
17. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 1m42.073s + 3.293s
18. Mattia Pasini Speed Master Aprilia 1m42.184s + 3.404s
19. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda 1m42.212s + 3.432s
20. James Ellison Paul Bird Aprilia 1m42.437s + 3.657s
21. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m42.446s + 3.666s
22. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m42.906s + 4.126s