Marlon Stockinger collected his maiden GP3 Series victory in the second Monaco race, which was shortened by a horrendous accident for Conor Daly. The American driver escaped unhurt from the crash, which saw him launched high into the air at the chicane approach after contact with Dimitry Suranovich.
Status driver Stockinger held the lead from pole and resisted constant pressure from Carlin's Antonio Felix da Costa, as the two stormed away from their rivals while running absolutely together.
Their battle was truncated on lap 11 out of 18 when Daly's crash happened. The Lotus driver had managed to get up to 12th place from 23rd on the grid with a storming first lap, but then got stuck behind Suranovich. The Manor car lost its rear wing in their fraught battle, yet somehow continued in front of Daly.
It all came to a head on the fast run out of the tunnel on the 11th lap, when Daly was launched into the air over the back of Suranovich's car, making contact with the top of the debris fence on the harbor side before crashing back down onto the track.
While Daly emerged unhurt, the fencing had been damaged in the accident and the decision was made to show the red flags after several laps behind that safety car.
Daly was the second driver to take to the air during the race. Carlin duo Will Buller and Alex Brundle and Status' Alice Powell tried to go three-abreast through Sainte Devote on lap one, but made contact, flipping Buller's car upside down. Brundle had to park with damage, while Powell required a pitstop for repairs.
That incident also caused a safety car, leaving few laps of green flag running in between crashes.
Behind Stockinger and da Costa, Lotus's Daniel Abt completed the podium, chased by MW Arden team-mates Mitch Evans and David Fumanelli, Ocean's Kevin Ceccon, race one winner Aaro Vainio (Lotus), Manor's Tio Ellinas, Friday podium finisher Tamas Pal Kiss (Atech CRS) and Jenzer driver Robert Visoiu.
Results - 13 laps:
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Marlon Stockinger Status 21m37.673s
2. Antonio Felix da Costa Carlin + 0.687s
3. Daniel Abt Lotus + 1.820s
4. Mitch Evans MW Arden + 2.685s
5. David Fumanelli MW Arden + 3.651s
6. Kevin Ceccon Ocean + 5.337s
7. Aaro Vainio Lotus + 6.266s
8. Tio Ellinas Manor + 7.090s
9. Tamas Pal Kiss Atech CRS + 7.762s
10. Robert Visoiu Jenzer + 9.055s
11. Dimitry Suranovich Manor + 1m10.884s
12. Robert Cregan Ocean + 1m11.405s
13. Vicky Piria Trident + 1m12.105s
14. John Wartique Atech CRS + 1m12.710s
15. Antonio Spavone Trident + 1m13.514s
16. Patric Niederhauser Jenzer + 1m14.329s
17. Matias Laine MW Arden + 1m15.267s
18. Fabiano Machado Manor + 1m16.582s
19. Ethan Ringel Atech CRS + 1m17.725s
20. Jakub Klasterka Jenzer + 1m18.420s
21. Kotaro Sakurai Status + 1m19.123s
22. Carmen Jorda Ocean + 1m19.910s
23. Alice Powell Status + 1m20.504s
Conor Daly Lotus 10 laps
Alex Brundle Carlin 0 laps
Will Buller Carlin 0 laps