In an effort to ensure a strong field at the 2011 SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America, the Sports 2000 participant community has developed an incentive package to assist in racers' efforts to attend the event, Sept. 19-25.
Spearheaded by six-time Sports 2000 National Champion John Fergus, the program offers a variety of cash, product and service prizes for entrants in the event. A total of 17 different prizes have already been committed at a combined value of nearly $10,000.
Prizes currently include:
- One of eight $500 cash awards courtesy of The Fergus Companies
- $1,000 credit with Elite Race Engines to be used by the recipient (non-transferable)
- One set of Hoosier Racing Tires to be used by the recipient (non-transferable)
- One set of Goodyear Racing Tires to be used by the recipient (non-transferable)
- Detailed car setup prior to the event by Wolf Motorsports for a Runoffs or Road America rookie
- One of three cases of Joe Gibbs Racing oil
- $500 Comprent Motorsports credit toward composite repairs, composite parts or sway bar parts to be used by the recipient (non-transferable)
- Four-shock rebuild and shock dyno report by Hank Sleath
Additionally, the Sports 2000 community will help support its fellow racers with the following:
- Arrangements can be made for anyone having their car transported by another party to share paddock space and resources with a fellow Sports 2000 team. This is a good opportunity for drivers from the coasts that may find it difficult to transport all of their equipment due to time and budgetary constraints.
- John and Corey Fergus will both be part of the Runoffs Rookie Orientation program and will provide program-eligible Sports 2000 drivers with guidance, tips and track rides in the event vehicles during that program.
Prizes will be drawn following the Aug. 26 early-entry deadline. Winners will be notified of their prize the week of Sept. 5 to the event to assist in their event planning. Fergus said all drivers entered by Aug. 26 are eligible for prizes and prizes will only be provided to drivers who attend and participate in the Runoffs. As organizers of the program, John and Corey Fergus have elected to withdraw their names from the drawing.
In addition to the incentives, local team Wolf Motorsports will host a Sports 2000 Social (party!) on Thursday or Friday evening, providing an opportunity for everyone to get together in a more casual atmosphere and enjoy the camaraderie within the S2000 class.
It's not too late for companies to offer up prizes! Any companies wishing to donate to the prize package are encouraged to contact John Fergus.
Any questions about the program, including the paddock sharing program, should be directed to John Fergus or (740) 201-0500.