The Yamaha team finished on top of the times on the second day of MotoGP testing at the Sepang circuit. The session was interrupted by heavy rain around midday, meaning the fastest times were set in the morning.
American Ben Spies was quickest today, finishing less than 0.01sec ahead of teammate Jorge Lorenzo. Both men beat the time set by Casey Stoner on the opening day of the test.
Stoner and his Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa were absent from today's session following the engine problem that hit the Spaniard on Tuesday.
"Today went well, the rain caught us out again but we got everything we needed to do done, including some different chassis setups and some electronics which we were pretty happy with," said Spies. "The rain started to come down so we waited until it subsided a little bit but with still a full wet track with standing water, which we needed.
"We haven't ridden the thousand in the rain and I've never ridden this track in the rain so it was good to get some laps in. I had quite a good feeling with the bike in the rain; straight away it felt pretty good so we rode in full wet conditions and stayed on wets when it dried out a little and was greasy. We've got a lot of stuff to do tomorrow so we're hoping for a dry day!"
Andrea Dovizioso posted the third quickest time on the Tech 3 Yamaha, finishing ahead of teammate Cal Crutchlow. Nicky Hayden and his Ducati team showed improved form today, finishing in fifth less than half a second off the pace. Teammate Valentino Rossi was seventh.
The test continues on Thursday.
Pos Rider Team Time
1. Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 2m01.285s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 2m01.293s
3. Andrea Dovizioso Yamaha Tech 3 2m01.522s
4. Cal Crutchlow Yamaha Tech 3 2m01.695s
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati Team 2m01.748s
6. Hector Barbera Pramac Racing Team 2m01.989s
7. Valentino Rossi Ducati Team 2m02.130s
8. Franco Battaini Ducati Team 2m03.566s
9. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 2m05.816s
10. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m07.532s
11. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m08.213s