Bruno Spengler made it two pole positions from two DTM races in 2011 as he topped qualifying at Zandvoort. The HWA Mercedes driver had not been quickest in any of the first three parts of qualifying, but dug deep when he needed to in Q4 and produced a 1m31.805s that would not be beaten.
At the time of Spengler going top, his teammate Jamie Green was the only man still to complete his single Q4 lap, but the Briton, who had been in the top two in every part of qualifying, did not quite have the speed to challenge and wound up 0.135s adrift of Spengler's time.
Mike Rockenfeller was the best of the Abt Audi drivers in third, just ahead of Martin Tomczyk in his older-spec Phoenix A4.
Gary Paffett and Timo Scheider were next up for HWA and Abt to make it three Mercedes and three Audis in the top six, while series rookie Edoardo Mortara scored a career-best seventh spot in his Rosberg Audi.
Ralf Schumacher (HWA), Miguel Molina (Abt) and Filipe Albuquerque (Rosberg) rounded out the top 10, the latter securing the best grid spot of his short DTM career.
David Coulthard said that 14th was: "better than I expected" following his practice off, while Mattias Ekstrom languished down in 16th – his worst grid spot for nine years – after failing to make it into Q2.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Bruno Spengler HWA Mercedes 1m31.805s
2. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m31.940s + 0.135s
3. Mike Rockenfeller Abt Audi 1m32.017s + 0.212s
4. Martin Tomczyk Phoenix Audi 1m32.063s + 0.258s
5. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m31.130s (Q3)
6. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m31.148s (Q3)
7. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m31.160s (Q3)
8. Ralf Schumacher HWA Mercedes 1m31.387s (Q3)
9. Miguel Molina Abt Audi 1m31.329s (Q2)
10. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m31.343s (Q2)
11. Renger van der Zande Persson Mercedes 1m31.632s (Q2)
12. Oliver Jarvis Abt Audi 1m31.729s (Q2)
13. Maro Engel Persson Mercedes 1m31.938s (Q2)
14. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m32.007s (Q2)
15. Susie Stoddart Persson Mercedes 1m32.197s (Q1)
16. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m32.236s (Q1)
17. Christian Vietoris Mucke Mercedes 1m32.646s (Q1)
18. Rahel Frey Phoenix Audi 1m33.436s (Q1)