Bruno Spengler kept BMW on top of the timesheets by topping the second DTM practice session at Oschersleben on Saturday morning.
The Canadian, who lies third in the championship - 18 points behind Gary Paffett with three races to go - went fastest in the final minute with a lap of 1m21.046s.
That was enough to knock Paffett's HWA Mercedes down to second spot by 0.120s and continue the Schnitzer team's domination of the weekend; Spengler's team-mate Dirk Werner having set the pace on Friday.
Paffett's HWA team-mate Ralf Schumacher was third fastest with Filipe Albuquerque the best of the Audi drivers - as he has been so often in practice this year - in fourth spot for Team Rosberg.
Jamie Green, who is Paffett's closest rival for the title, was fifth, with Christian Vietoris making it all four HWA drivers in the top six.
Mike Rockenfeller and Zandvoort race winner Edoardo Mortara were next up for the Phoenix and Rosberg Audi teams respectively while Werner and Adrien Tambay completed the top 10.
Reigning champion Martin Tomczyk, who is still frustrated at the five-place grid penalty he will incur this weekend following an incident with Paffett at Zandvoort, saw his session end early.
He brought out the red flags during the second half of the session when the front-right suspension failed on his RMG BMW as he turned in for the quick chicane at the back of the circuit.
The German missed the second part of the chicane and was launched over the kerbs and into the gravel, where the car came to rest without hitting the tyre barriers.
Several drivers had already gone off the circuit by this point.
Andy Priaulx, Albuquerque and Werner all outbraked themselves at Turn 1 and were forced to execute spin-turns to rejoin the track, while Tambay and his Abt team-mate Timo Scheider both had high-speed grassy excursions exiting the esses.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m21.046s
2. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m21.166s + 0.120s
3. Ralf Schumacher HWA Mercedes 1m21.444s + 0.398s
4. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m21.461s + 0.415s
5. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m21.515s + 0.469s
6. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m21.537s + 0.491s
7. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m21.541s + 0.495s
8. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m21.573s + 0.527s
9. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m21.577s + 0.531s
10. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m21.663s + 0.617s
11. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m21.686s + 0.640s
12. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m21.693s + 0.647s
13. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m21.775s + 0.729s
14. Robert Wickens Mucke Mercedes 1m21.784s + 0.738s
15. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m21.846s + 0.800s
16. Roberto Merhi Persson Mercedes 1m21.951s + 0.905s
17. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m21.980s + 0.934s
18. Joey Hand RMG BMW 1m22.043s + 0.997s
19. Andy Priaulx RBM BMW 1m22.105s + 1.059s
20. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m22.108s + 1.062s
21. Rahel Frey Abt Audi 1m22.514s + 1.468s
22. Susie Wolff Persson Mercedes 1m22.531s + 1.485s