Petter Solberg leads Jari-Matti Latvala by 1.3 seconds after five stages in Finland, with Mikko Hirvonen's massive crash having thrown the battle for victory wide open.
Hirvonen had been pulling away from the field when he rolled several times his Ford in a high-speed accident after a jump on the Urria stage.
That elevated Solberg (Solberg Citroen) into the lead, but Ford's remaining works driver Latvala cut the Norwegian's advantage in half on SS5.
Dani Sordo is just 5.1s off the lead as well, having delivered a very strong performance so far on his first drive with Citroen Junior. The Spaniard won SS5 and is 6.7sec in front of his factory team replacement Sebastien Ogier.
Citroen team leader Sebastien Loeb has struggled since breaking part of his car's front bumper - which contains important aerodynamic elements - on SS3. The champion is already 18.9s off the lead.
Juha Kankkunen has edged closer to the pace as his first morning back in the championship continued, and with Hirvonen out and Adapta Subaru's Mads Ostberg losing time on SS5, Kankkunen's Stobart Ford is now up to 10th, chasing Kimi Raikkonen (Citroen Junior) and Khalid Al Qassimi (Ford).
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Petter Solberg Citroen 35m34.7s
2. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford + 1.3s
3. Dani Sordo Citroen + 5.1s
4. Sebastien Ogier Citroen + 11.8s
5. Sebastien Loeb Citroen + 18.9s
6. Henning Solberg Ford + 23.0s
7. Matthew Wilson Ford + 1m04.5s
8. Kimi Raikkonen Citroen + 1m31.6s
9. Khalid Al Qassimi Ford + 1m38.6s
10. Juha Kankkunen Ford + 1m45.3s